Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spacer or Suspension Lift?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacer or Suspension Lift?

Hey everyone,

Literally just signed up to this forum. I just got my first wrangler a couple months ago and I have been doing a good bit of research independently but I'm seeking a little guidance in terms of modifications. Hoping to avoid bias from the various shops around town.

My sister has a 2012 2-door Wrangler but I just got rid of my '06 Cherokee and got myself a 2015 4-door JK Rubicon.

I like the wheels & tires it came with, but I'm looking to beef it up a little bit. I plan to get some 20" KMC-XD Rockstar II's on some 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar tires, and plan to put the old ones on my sister's Jeep.

I know I'm going to need a lift, but this is going to be expensive as it is, so I was thinking of going with the AEV 2" spacer lift (about $250), since the rubicon already comes with good suspension, as opposed to a suspension lift ($1200-2500).

So what I'd like to know from you all is (answer any you can, hopefully I can get all the answers collectively):

1.) Would you recommend going with the AEV spacer, or saving up a little longer and change the suspension?

2.) Would my sister need a lift to accommodate the Willy's wheels with the 31" tires mine comes with?

3.) Is there anything make or break about the Kevlar tires?

4.) If I do go with the AEV spacer, is there anything I should keep in mind about the ride?

Thanks in advance, I hope y'all can help initiate me into this new culture I've found myself in

-Chief

(Not the best picture, I assure you, but for reference)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1076493983.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	594433  
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Former Member

Welcome to the forum!! If you go under modified jk in the forum there are a couple of stickies that will answer most any lift question you could ask and some of those guys really know there stuff!!!

I run the km2 bfgs and love them they're not much on ice or snow though! Congrats on the rubi!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you are happy with the height, nothing wrong with a cheap budget boost to clear the new tires. A spacer is pretty much a spacer, so compare the other components that come with the lift.

You will find info on the various components in the stickies. And suggestions on lift height vs tire size (onroad, 2" may be enough. Offroad, plan on some fender modification or a little cutting/trimming here and there or more lift or taller bumpstops or whatever...) And backspacing, since you will need to move the bigger tires out further. And be prepared for some comments concerning the 20" rims/tires. Many people here don't seem to be fans of the look, but just from a monetary perspective, you are paying a premium for moving to a 20" rim and tire. The savings with a 17" set might get you into a nice coil lift instead of the pucks.

Your sisters jeep will be fine with your current tires, all jk's can run the bigger 32" stock tires.

There used to be nothing but positive reviews for the mtr/k, but I see more and more people talking about balancing issues. I don't recall if it is only the larger sizes, or 35's included, so just something to research a bit more before deciding.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-29-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

1.) Would you recommend going with the AEV spacer, or saving up a little longer and change the suspension?
If you dont really fine tune max flex of your coil/coilover lift (which would among other things require different arms setup), there is almost nothing, that a coil lift would bring you what the spacer lift does not. In other words, you wont get more flex by simply installing 2.5" coils as opposed to installing 2.5" spacers. So yes, if you need/want some lift, try spacer lift, be it AEV, TeraFlex or else (check always for completenes - Teraflex BB with shock extensions is a good standard).

2.) Would my sister need a lift to accommodate the Willy's wheels with the 31" tires mine comes with?
No lift needed for almost 33" tyre, so no. (btw. stock tyres are 32").

3.) Is there anything make or break about the Kevlar tires?
Not really, just check tyre reviews and pick what suits your driving style the most (just keep in mind that bigger/stronger tyres necessarily weight lot more than stock - you will feel it when you swap them). You may also want to check this test here: Where the Rubber Meets the Road | Expedition Portal

4.) If I do go with the AEV spacer, is there anything I should keep in mind about the ride?
Your ride wont change really with spacer lift, since you keep your stock suspension components - except you will sit little bit higher (= higher center of gravity). Also you will raise a little the risk of getting death wobble (OEM JK trackbar brackets are weak and tend to get ovaled. Should that happen, you may want to consider RSE steering reinforcement and Artec HD tracbar bracket.).
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Few more remarks:

- You can get a pretty decent coil lift for less than USD 1000
American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).
Even less than that, if you check up offers at northridge, quadratec, 4wd, etc. Question is, do you need it?

- If you are on a budget, forget 20" rockstars (more or less a nonsence anyway), keep your stock 17" and just get some 35/12.5R17 tyres and wheel spacers (1,25" should be enough). Like this you could significantly enhance the capability of your Jeep for around USD 1200 in total (340 TF BB w adaptors, 200 4x wheel spacers, 600 set of 4x 35" by 17 tyres).
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PET77
1.)3.) Is there anything make or break about the Kevlar tires?
Not really, just check tyre reviews and pick what suits your driving style the most (just keep in mind that bigger/stronger tyres necessarily weight lot more than stock - you will feel it when you swap them). You may also want to check this test here: expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/]Where the Rubber Meets the Road | Expedition Portal
In this article/test, I first looked for something I know well -- the report about BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO.
I had these tires on two Jeeps (I had 245/75/17 and not the 265/70 R17), and I drive on them each time I drive my sons' truck.
The dimensions difference can't explain a 'day & night' difference of behavior.

My experience with this tire is completely different that what Scott Brady reports.
They were relatively quiet, and had excellent grip on wet roads, on deep puddles on roads, on trails of all kinds, etc'.
His results also do not correspond with his own words -- [BFG All Terrain] "claimed countless awards and desert racing championships".

In view of his results, which were the opposite of my long-term personal experience, I quick-searched for the p.s.i. used, on road and off road, and found non...
Tire pressure is a key factor in tire performance, on or off road.
28 or 35psi on road, makes a big difference in handling. The same goes for 16~20psi or 30psi off road. Did they air down for off road? - not a word.
Not specifying tire pressures, makes the conclusions questionable.
I therefore didn't bother to read it in full.

An article, test or comparison, which looks serious, isn't necessarily unbiased.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-01-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Spacer or Suspension Lift?