Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spacers and vibtation

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacers and vibtation

My tire place is saying my spacers are causing my vibration. I am running stock wheels with RC 1.5 inch spacers. 315 70 17 falken wildpeaks. Did a search but came to no prevail. Anyone have any insight into this. The vibration didn't start til I put the new tires and spacers on. I am hoping its not my spacers because I have no funds for wheels right know. Another question. Can they balance the spacers? Thanks for looking
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy some spydertrax spacers. Did they torque down the rc spacers right.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Did you remove the rotor retaining clips? If so it is not likely that it is the spacers. The most likely cause is your tires. I had some vibration with my 37" Falkens and had to break a couple down again and spin the tire and rebalance. I had one that had to be replaced because it was out of round and unbalancable. Not completely uncommon with these large tires. Go back to the shop or find a different shop and have the tires rebalanced.

One other thing...what air pressure are you running? Alot of guys are running 27-28 psi with the MTRs and heavier tires. I did that ar first with mine and found that it didn't handle well. Turns out the Falkens have a little softer sidewall so I went up to about 32psi and that has worked great.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

i have spidertrax 1.5, torque it to spec with no problems so far.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I removed the clips. Haven't had the tire actually broke down and turned then rebalanced. Went to another shop and they balanced them and it was the same. That shop said the tires where no where close to balanced. I'm running around 35psi in tires. I torqued spacers to 120ftlbs myself. Is that too much? Thanks for the input
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

its the tires, These tires are hard to get balanced right the first time. Have them rebalance them again.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the RC wheels spacers and like you when I added new tires and the spacers I got alittle vibration. I associated it with my wide tires being mounted on factory wheels. Dropping the air pressure helped alittle. I eventually got new wheels and the vibration went away. The RC are hub centric so they should match up fine with your hubs. Do like someone else said and make sure the clips are taken off the lugs.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys. I am gonna put the spacers on my moms jeep and see what happens with her stock tires. Hopefully my stabilizer isn't shot from it shaking so much
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a few brand new tires that were out of round or had mis-aligned plies. The dealer usually points to everything else before deciding the tire is bad. You are on the right track by trying the spacers on another rig if possible. Also, can you drive your Jeep carefully without the spacers? If the problem is there without the spacers then the dealer knows he owes.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

i would drive it without spacers but the rear tires would come into contact with the control arms i believe. have not tried this but will give it a shot. it seems to be really close when i slide my hand behind the tire. it was close with the stock tires on.

Quick Reply: spacers and vibtation