Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare on back or top?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare on back or top?

I have a full size spare (37"). It's sitting in my garage. I love the visibility out the back without the spare, but the main off road park I would go to requires a spare. I could either (eventually) get a new rear bumper (Expedition One) and a backup camera for my MyGIG (lots of kids in my neighborhood) or instead get a safari roof rack and mount it up top, which would be a pain to get off when I really need it.

Do you think the center of gravity would increase significantly? It probably would, but up an incline I would think the extra weight all the way in the back would be worst than slightly more forward. Is my physics screwed up?

I really like the clear view out the back but not sure about the higher center of gravity.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top mount would definitely throw of you center of gravity. Not to mention the hernias involved in getting that big 37 up and down when the situation called...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

First let me say damn I should of got half doors.

I would get a swing gate and go the camera route or take it off when your not wheeling. Maybe fab up a hitch mounted carrier and take it off whenyou get home. But I guess in my opinion rear gate that 37" would probably be a beast to get down.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are pics of the two options I am considering. Price is about the same. Budget doesn't exist yet.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverRubi2
Here are pics of the two options I am considering. Price is about the same. Budget doesn't exist yet.

IMO... The pics you attached are both very nicely done setups.

I like the tire on the back in the normal place the best. It looks awesome, especially with those 37's.

I don't like it as well on the top, but what I do like about this particular setup is the "gas jerrys" on the rear to kinda balance out the rear and hide the rear door. Everytime I see a JK without the tire on the rear, even if it's on the top...something looks missing.

I just wish I had 37's though...to at least be worrying about this problem...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both setups look great just getting it down, that would be my concern But I have to admitt those new style gerry cans by Expedition One are pretty sweet

Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to agree that from an asthetics standpoint, the tire looks best in the back (IMO). From a practical standpoint... It'll still be easier to remove and mount it to the rear as well. I just know what it takes to lift and line up my 35 to my rear tire carrier and I'd hate to lug it all the way up to the roof of my JK.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yah, I guess I know in the back its more practical. Anybody got pictures of the Expedition One w/o a tire mounted?

Last edited by FunWagon; 09-18-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Fire
Both setups look great just getting it down, that would be my concern But I have to admitt those new style gerry cans by Expedition One are pretty sweet

Can someone give a Noob some specs on these tires? Size of rim, and maybe size and brand and type of tire? I really like them....
Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jasruby
Can someone give a Noob some specs on these tires? Size of rim, and maybe size and brand and type of tire? I really like them....
Those are the 17" Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels with 37x13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T.

I would mount the spare on the rear unless you need two (for expedition usage) then you would need to put one on the top.

Last edited by Littlejon; 09-19-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare on back or top?