Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire holder stress?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tritonman
I just bought some new rims and tires and went the 33 route. The tires are 295/70/17 on a 17x8" rim.

I just replaced the spare and I wanted to know if the spare tire holder will be safe enough and strong enough to hold the new rim/tire? The rims and tires seem pretty heavy to only be held up by 3 lugnuts.
All the carriers only use 3 bolts and that's the least of your worries since 5 bolts hold 1/4 the weight I the whole vehicle. I it fits ok then I think you will be fine.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cppower
MBRP makes a reinforcement kit, It is a pain to install if you have big hands, but it seems to distribute the load better than stock.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
Just installed this kit today. It's cheap and makes sense. Make sure when doing this install, don't go crazy twisting the supplied bolt when trying to break the tac welds on the factory nuts. You will break that cheap zinc bolt they give you. And then you'll be making a trip to home depot for a screw extracor set. Ask me I know. But other than that its an easy install. I'M also using the Daystar tailgate bump stops. I'll be hanging a 35 and checking for bending and stress.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

You might want to check out the Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had my 35 with ATX artillary rim with 4.5 backspace on the stock carrier for over a year with the MBRP reinforcing kit and daystar bump stops. Tight as can be and around 40 dollars in parts. Install not bad , just get some extra bolts for snapping spot welds and make sure thread sticks out a little behind bolt so you have something to unsrew just in case
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by second2none
Bestop has one that just replaces the stock carrier and they claim it is good for any tire/wheel combo up to 35" and 200lbs...the part # that you can google is Bestop 61961...they also have a youtube video showing it.
I used this Bestop HD carrier for about 1 1/2 years using both 35's and 37's. Yes it hold the tire nice with no stress to the gate itself, HOWEVER, the hinges and weld seams may give. I live 4 miles down dirt roads, so my jeep is constantly bouncing. this bouncing stress has caused me to go through 2 sets of hinges and now the weld seams appear to be stressed. Bestop has a new rear bumper with integrated tire carrier (swings with gate) coming out soon. I will change out to that.

My advice; Yes a 35 and down can work with an "add on" carrier to the gate as long as you do mostly on road driving. I would remove the tire when wheeling (I strap mine down inside now when off road). Would convert to a bumper swing out carrier - recommended.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cppower
MBRP makes a reinforcement kit, It is a pain to install if you have big hands, but it seems to distribute the load better than stock.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
I have it on my JK. I have a heavy KM2 35" tire. No issue since the last 3 years
Old 08-13-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tritonman
I just bought some new rims and tires and went the 33 route. The tires are 295/70/17 on a 17x8" rim.

I just replaced the spare and I wanted to know if the spare tire holder will be safe enough and strong enough to hold the new rim/tire? The rims and tires seem pretty heavy to only be held up by 3 lugnuts.
I have that exact same setup, and after about 2 months I finally pulled the spare off because I kept hearing a popping noise when going over bumps. I even had the longer Daystar bumpstops on the tailgate, and it did'nt help.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

One member used two different re enforcement products to run a 35 safely. I need to find that post. I searched with no luck. Maybe he will post up here.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
I have it on my JK. I have a heavy KM2 35" tire. No issue since the last 3 years
Good to hear
Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips and advice everyone...i decided to order the Off Camber Fabrications Spare Tire Reinforcement Kit and the Daystar Tailgate Bump Stops. Thats why i love these forums!

Quick Reply: Spare tire holder stress?