Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire size??????????

Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare tire size??????????

Can anyone tell if its alright to use a smaller spare. The reason I ask is that
I running 37" tires and I hate the way it covers my entire rear window. Plus I baught this single super swamper bogger for really chea its a 30"x 12.50 it looks cool on the back its smaller but really mean looking. Will it harm the dif if I had to use it in a pinch as the spare tire was intended? Any info would be helpfull thanks alot.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could use the 30" as a spare if your in a pinch, but I'd highly recomend not using miss mached tire sizes on an axle with a locker thats engaged.
Now with that said, a 30" spare with the rest of your tires being 37" will cause some dog-tracking I'd expect and not to forget that your jeep will sit real funny (low on one corner kinda like if you were to drive with a flat).

But it should be ok on as long as you don't have lockers engaged.

p.s. I'd expect your ESP to be piss off with this setup too

I hope this helps
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

at least go with a 33 or 35.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by I Drill
at least go with a 33 or 35.
He already has the 30"
I wouldn't go too far too fast like that but if you really need to get to a garage it should be ok, I wouldn't want to do it.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 35s and a 32 spare. If I dont lock up, will I still cause damage? I would hope to never travel far on my 32 inch spare. And if not, is it better to put the spare on the front or back?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default safety is key

if ya must use a smaller tire for a spare try to keep the size within 3-4%. For me personally i would max at a 3% difference if I was to go at speed above 45 mph. also the trade pending on the area you drive. If there are alot a blind corners and you my need to do sudden brake'n you may want ya two front tires to be the same size for a more controlled and even braking. a full size spare means the trip doesnt stop. a limp'n wheel is just that some'n to help ya limp to a repair shop or home to fix ya tire. on the scale is the obstructed view worth the party to never end? as far as safe driving. back first, back to the drivers side, use side mirors, and when in doupt get out and look, and most important dont back unless you absolutly must.(I drive for a live'n.)
Old 04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Well,

Lets look at it from a fresh perspective.

Lets talk about your 37's and double lockered Jeep OFF ROAD.

I assume that you attack some serious terrain, I know you mentioned several previous trucks, and you took your X and essentially made a Rubicon-esque JK out of it (No 4:1 T-case... :( - But, WITH a Rubicon Sticker.)

So - you are deep in the boonies, in terrain rough enough to kill your 37" IROK...and you need to limp back out on WHAT?

For a mall crawler, sure, OK - I mean it does wreak havoc with the traction control, the stability control, and the other wheel speed comparitive computer overlords...but, you could shudder and jigger youir way to a station with a flat and three good tires and one oem-ish spare.

__________________________________________________ __________________

Bottom Line -

If you actually NEEDED those lockers you installed, and the 37's you put on there....how are you going to GET BACK OUT WITHOUT THEM?

Either you can use the spare, and didn't need the other mods.......or, you NEEDED the other mods, and therefore, NEED another IROK that looks like the other ones.

Just go to a 5 tire rotation....the tires last 20% longer, and you can wheel off road too.

PS - As for rear visibility...the REASON you posted this....

You have a few alternatives you could use in any combo you find you like:

1. For $ 69 or so, you could install a back up camera (Or more than one...) that sends a wireless signal to a dash mounted screen.

2. For $ 5 or so, you could place a plastic wide angle window sheet on the rear hatch glass...it lets you see where the tire blocks too.

3. For $50 or so, you could mount additional mirrors allowing you a tractor trailer-like view of the area behind your hitch, etc.

4. For $100 or so, you could install a proximity sensor that beeps when some thing is behind you too close, and beeps faster as you get closer, etc.

etc.

Last edited by TEEJ; 04-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default my true thoughts exactly

My thoughts exactly I just want them to feel like they came up with the same conclusion. lol its like shaqu pack'n sandles for his spare game shoes. anyways.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default spare tire size??????

Its not only the vision obstruction but I just dont have the money for a new swing out rear bumper. I have a matching 37 its bauld but it is the match I dont like to hang it on the tailgate. Anyone have a rear swing out? For cheep, probably not im sure Oh well thanks for the info. anything more is always helpfull.

Last edited by MORTON; 05-01-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

i wouldnt use anything less then the full size spare... heard stories of blowing up diffs from the different rotations of the tire.

why do you need to see where you have been anyways? just kidding.

Quick Reply: spare tire size??????????