Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed sensor? Abs light and traction control light came on

Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed sensor? Abs light and traction control light came on

I just got both the ABS light and the traction control light today. I havent adjusted my computer after putting larger wheels and tires on. Could this be the problem? Is it the speed sensor? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It could be. Symptoms sound right. Go to VatoZone/Napa/ Checker, etc, and have them plug into it. and see what is going on.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Several thoughts from my own experience (208K miles on my JK, plus travel with many others over the past decade):

1. ABS sensor is bad. A code reader that actually reads ABS codes can isolate this one.

2. ABS sensor wiring has gotten mucked up. OEM Jeep wiring is fine. But after a lift, that wiring can get in the wrong spot, especially during off-road, and become damaged. Visually inspect and repair as necessary. There's nothing special about the wiring--just cut and splice as needed, then reroute so it won't happen again (lift manufacturers are horrible about not giving proper instructions on this).

3. Bent drag link or tie rod. Again, it happens off road. First indication is your steering wheel isn't straight. You can adjust it out at the drag link or tire rod, but it is weaker and will happen again more easily. Recommend replacing with something stronger when affordable.

4. A new lift and the steering wheel hasn't been properly centered. Properly center it.

5. A bad unit bearing--could be contaminated after off-road in mud/sandy rivers. Inspect for proper, noise free rotation. Remove the ABS sensor and peer into the hold to check for contamination (there should be clean grease).

6. And (you'll love this one), the most frequent cause: Sometimes something in the road just causes them to go off. They're actually doing their job. I saw one time where five Jeep JKs were traveling together and three of us had our lights go off crossing one particular bridge. Given time (a few days), they all went off by themselves. This has actually happened several times to me. Bottom line: Don't fix anything until the lights have stayed on a few days. If they go out and stay out, you're good.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chewmeista
I just got both the ABS light and the traction control light today. I havent adjusted my computer after putting larger wheels and tires on. Could this be the problem? Is it the speed sensor? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have those lights come on when I make a certain turn/ hit a certain bump while it's raining.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you all so much. The next time i started my jeep the lights went off and have stayed off for a few rides now.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewmeista
Thank you all so much. The next time i started my jeep the lights went off and have stayed off for a few rides now.
I'm still going with wheel speed sensor. Go to the parts store and have them pull a scan on historic codes.

Quick Reply: Speed sensor? Abs light and traction control light came on