Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spooling a winch, and other questions

Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Spooling a winch, and other questions

Holiday travel over some snowy mountain passes and treacherous 2-lane is approaching, so I figured I'd do a winch evolution and some simple maintenance. This is my first winch, never used before, a Warn 8000 with a steel wire rope.

What I did: I wanted to make sure the winch was spooled properly in prep for its first real use, so I parked the Jeep down a gentle slope, pulled out the line, left 5 good wraps on the drum. For good maintenance, I soaked the line with WD-40, then hooked it up to my truck (uphill), and winched it in under tension.

First issue: Spooling the drum.

The first row would start evenly, but the 2nd and subsequent rows would never start on the edge of the drum. The roller fairlead on the bumper came with the winch, so I'd assume it is wide enough to allow the drum to spool correctly. Nonetheless, I could never get subsequent rows to wind all the way to the edge of the drum. It seemed to wrap evenly, but I'm not so sure about the edges of the rows. Seems like the start of the next row would gently split the edge of the previous row. I don't know if this is okay or not.

Second issue: Mysterious dash light )z(

I believe this is a warning for the charging system, right?

I'm using the stock JK battery (2+ years old at this point) which apparently is soon going to suddenly die according to other posts. If I ran the battery down using the winch (even with the vehicle idling), would that cause that warning light to flash momentarily?

The winch is wired per recommended procedures and was installed by a reputable shop.

Is this going to be a problem with any battery, if I winch too much? We probably completed 2 "pulls" (95') and some other in/out with the rope trying to get it to wind correctly. I was keeping a feel on the winch motor temperature, and the case never really got too warm, yet this issue with the charging system/ voltage light randomly came up. I'm curious if I just ran the winch too long for the battery, not necessarily the winch motor itself.

Any suggestions there? Maybe a new AGM-type battery before I ever try to do any real pulls?

Edit: The vehicle idled for another 5 minutes or so while we put the gear away, and then the vehicle was parked in the garage and I placed my Battery Tender back on the battery (it's always on a tender in the garage, if I'm not driving it that week). The tender didn't take maybe but a half hour to come out of charging mode.

Last edited by jk_sea; 11-24-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the jeep running when you were winching or were you just running it on the battery?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154
Was the jeep running when you were winching or were you just running it on the battery?
It was running. Idling, but running.

I do have an AEV procal with the high idle setting, but it wasn't in use during this evolution.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am no expert. I just got mine about 2 months ago so keep that in mind.

Do you know how many amps your winch draws?

I believe one should keep the engine above idle when in use. I believe Trail dash has a idle up setting for winching.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
..... a Warn 8000 with a steel wire rope ..... For good maintenance, I soaked the line with WD-40 .....
You'll get plenty of replies about the rest, I'll refer to the WD-40.

It may come as a surprise to you and to others, but WD-40 accelerates rusting.
A few years ago, we tested various oils. Groups of new, clean but non-blued gun barrels were hung outdoors.
Those sprayed with WD-40 rusted quicker than the bare, non-oiled ones.

Kerosene-based oils, like the WD-40 (and other penetrating oils) were the worst.
The best were Silicone oils.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-24-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'm winching at load I keep my RPM's at 2000 and I watch my amp gauge when it starts dipping I stop let it build back up and start again.and I have also noticed the uneven spooling.but I always respool after I'm done winching
Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
You'll get plenty of replies about the rest, I'll refer to the WD-40. It may come as a surprise to you and to others, but WD-40 accelerates rusting. A few years ago, we tested various oils. Groups of new, clean but non-blued gun barrels were hung outdoors. Those sprayed with WD-40 rusted quicker than the bare, non-oiled ones. Kerosene-based oils, like the WD-40 (and other penetrating oils) were the worst. The best were Silicone oils.
. I have heard this also about wd-40
Old 11-24-2014, 03:11 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my opinion.

Seems like the start of the next row would gently split the edge of the previous row. I don't know if this is okay or not.

It is normal for the second layer of cable to lay between the rows of cable underneath. That's why it is so important to keep the inner layer as tight as possible - because it only gets worse with a load on the winch. But without seeing the wraps - I'd say you're OK. Maybe you could post some pictures.

This light is not for the charging system. It is the Electronic Throttle Control system warning and could be related to anything from the throttle body to the accelerator pedal. Did the light go out or has it come back? If it returns - you should check for engine codes.

I'm using the stock JK battery (2+ years old at this point) which apparently is soon going to suddenly die according to other posts. If I ran the battery down using the winch (even with the vehicle idling), would that cause that warning light to flash momentarily?

Is this going to be a problem with any battery, if I winch too much? We probably completed 2 "pulls" (95') and some other in/out with the rope trying to get it to wind correctly. I was keeping a feel on the winch motor temperature, and the case never really got too warm, yet this issue with the charging system/ voltage light randomly came up. I'm curious if I just ran the winch too long for the battery, not necessarily the winch motor itself.

Any suggestions there? Maybe a new AGM-type battery before I ever try to do any real pulls?

Edit: The vehicle idled for another 5 minutes or so while we put the gear away, and then the vehicle was parked in the garage and I placed my Battery Tender back on the battery (it's always on a tender in the garage, if I'm not driving it that week). The tender didn't take maybe but a half hour to come out of charging mode.

The light is not related to the battery - and as you stated the battery regained a full charge rather quickly. I don't believe you have a battery issue - but a newer, better battery is always a good idea for running a winch!

I hope that helps!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Holiday travel over some snowy mountain passes and treacherous 2-lane is approaching, so I figured I'd do a winch evolution and some simple maintenance. This is my first winch, never used before, a Warn 8000 with a steel wire rope.

What I did: I wanted to make sure the winch was spooled properly in prep for its first real use, so I parked the Jeep down a gentle slope, pulled out the line, left 5 good wraps on the drum. For good maintenance, I soaked the line with WD-40, then hooked it up to my truck (uphill), and winched it in under tension.

The first row would start evenly, but the 2nd and subsequent rows would never start on the edge of the drum. The roller fairlead on the bumper came with the winch, so I'd assume it is wide enough to allow the drum to spool correctly. Nonetheless, I could never get subsequent rows to wind all the way to the edge of the drum. It seemed to wrap evenly, but I'm not so sure about the edges of the rows. Seems like the start of the next row would gently split the edge of the previous row. I don't know if this is okay or not.

The winch is wired per recommended procedures and was installed by a reputable shop.

Your battery is wore out. Try a new battery, and for your winch. I use a hammer and put the cable under my boot on the ground to keep preasure on it. That way it stays tight. You need to keep tapping the cable over. You can even use your hand. Now back to the dash problem that usually comes on when you have little voltage due to a bad battery or alternator, start with the battery.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Great info guys, thanks for the reply.

The ETC light--well, I'm stumped. It only flashed for a brief second, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. The Jeep drives fine and no lights are on right now, so I'll consider it a fluke. The Jeep is still pretty new... 2 years old and 20k miles.

WD-40...interesting. I might have to do some additional reading and use a different kind of oil or follow whatever procedure is agreed to be best practice. I was just thinking of something to use as a light coating because of all the crud that's going to get sprayed at the front of the Jeep on this upcoming trip.

As for the cable, it was under significant tension (vehicle weight up the slope). Not exactly something you easily pull over or want to get your fingers involved in while it's winding, so I assume the split/ resting of the cable on the end of the rows is ok for now. I'll try to post some pics later on if I'm out in the garage.

Quick Reply: Spooling a winch, and other questions