Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak heard, squeak located......now what....

Old 05-05-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak heard, squeak located......now what....

So I have been hearing a Squeak in my '14 JKU (Betty) for a few weeks now. Here is the info and the back story.

Betty is a 14 JKU Sport with a 2.5 RC Suspension and OEM shocks, sitting on 285/75/17 Nitto terragrapplers and has Teraflex front quick disco links and TF rear sway bar links for 2-4" lifts.

About 3-5 weeks after the lift going on I started to notice a squeak during left turns, sounds like a rusty windmill. Took it back they got under it and took an impact to everything came back and said that the Gas take had 2 loose bolts, the rear bumper had 2 loose, and the Evap had 1 loose. So no more squeak!!! Nope 2 weeks later its back. This time I get me some blue lock tite and a wrench and go to it. This time I tightened up everything. The rear bumper was loose (Smittybilt XRC no tire carrier), gas tank, evap, and 3 of the body mounts as well (Rugged Ridge side armor is on). No more squeak!!! Well 2 weeks later (present day) squeaks back.

Here is was I was thinking.

A.) Red loktite

B.) Lock washers

C.) A & B

D.) Ask you guys.

I obviously have picked D........
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a fan of red loctite when not called for. Blue should take care of any bolt. For bolts that have nots that are accessible, swap in stover/shouldered nuts.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

How are you getting so many bolts lose, is what I don't get.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Simple driving is all that I am doing. Now the city that I live in is probably one of the ones on the list for worst roads ever. Theres pot holes every where and some could eat a car my friends blown 4 tires on potholes. None of the bolts that are coming loose have nuts on them.

As much as a PIA red loktite is it can be broken, and the items I would put that on I dont really see them needing to come off. Like the gas tank one.

Quick Reply: Squeak heard, squeak located......now what....