Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Squeak/thud from rear after Daystar 1" BL

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak/thud from rear after Daystar 1" BL

Squeak/thud after install; coincides with bumps and vibrations. What Ive done: complete reinstall; ensure nothing touching tub; inspected shocks/sway/tracking bar with nothing obviously wrong; all bolts torqued to 85/45; however, I tap on OEM bumper and this provokes squeak, but I cant reproduce thud sound unless on road, and it doesnt take much of a bump to cause the thud.

Anyone ever hear of problems with OEM bumper after a BL? The right side does appear to shake more than the left when i tap on it. When I open tailgate, this suppresses sound considerably. Shaking spare does not provoke sound.

How does the plastic attach to the metal part of bumper? Could this also be the thud Im hearing? The bumper mounting bolts all appear to be torqued properly. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
Squeak/thud after install; coincides with bumps and vibrations. What Ive done: complete reinstall; ensure nothing touching tub; inspected shocks/sway/tracking bar with nothing obviously wrong; all bolts torqued to 85/45; however, I tap on OEM bumper and this provokes squeak, but I cant reproduce thud sound unless on road, and it doesnt take much of a bump to cause the thud.

Anyone ever hear of problems with OEM bumper after a BL? The right side does appear to shake more than the left when i tap on it. When I open tailgate, this suppresses sound considerably. Shaking spare does not provoke sound.

How does the plastic attach to the metal part of bumper? Could this also be the thud Im hearing? The bumper mounting bolts all appear to be torqued properly. Thanks for any help.
Could it be your drivers door making the thus.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Not sure, but I dont think so. So what I did was play with the mounts. For whatever the reason, Chrysler decided to eliminate two of the four rear body mounts that they've had in the past. To compensate, it appears Chrysler made the washer on the rear mounts much larger than the other 8 mounts. This causes the main bolt to scrape up and down on the two isolator bolt nuts, making an awful squeak. So I placed some lithium grease on the main bolt side of the isolator nuts where it is making contact, which immediately eliminated the noise. So, I took the bolt to the grindstone and knocked off just enough of the washer to ensure it won't make contact with the main bolt. So far so good, but Ive been down this road before thinking Ive got it solved.

If only Toyota made the Jeep ( I know that may piss some of you off, but, their track record is a helluva lot better than Chrysler).
Old 03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Oh, it's still a little thud'y, but that's reduced as well. I think what I'm hearing is just road noise. It is not as quiet as before the BL, which is somewhat perplexing since I've read other people say/write that it's actually a quieter ride. I tend to think it's because all of the road noise is carried through only two body mounts in back instead of dispersing it through four, but not sure. Next Thursday I'm installing the Teraflex 2.5" BB, so maybe this will resolve as I change the suspension a bit.

Quick Reply: Squeak/thud from rear after Daystar 1" BL