Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staged Suspension Plan Help!!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staged Suspension Plan Help!!

First off hello JK-forum. This is my first post and I am in desperate need of assistance.

I plan on building my jeep in stages in the hopes that it will one day be a bad ass rock crawling show truck!

Anyways onto my dilemma. My current plan is just to run 37 military tires for about a year, I don't do much hard wheeling but I do go mudding atleast once a month. After that year I plan on finally having enough money to drop in a 4bt and lift it 6-8 inches with 40-42 inch tires. Now this is just a plan and is subject to change. Butttt that is it. So with all things considered I don't know what I should do for my initial lift... Should I...?

• Get a 2 inch body lift and leveling kit with flat fenders?
  • Get the Rough country 4 inch lift?
  • Get the Rough Country 3.5in Lift w/ 2 Inch Body lift?
  • Get 2.5 inch coil spacers new shocks and 2in body lift?

I feel Like in the end they all cost around 500$ except for just a leveling kit and body lift, but that would require some cutting. So would there be a better way to just get the rough country 4 inch lift then buy the x flex control arms later and upgrade the coil springs? I don't do any hard core rock crawling as I live in florida so the body lift raising my center of gravity doesn't bother me.

Is there a better way of doing this that I have over looked?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Bump, I just want some peoples two cents, kind of thinking going with the 4 inch lift and a 2 inch body lift?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Probably like a lot of folks on this forum, I have no clue when you start your thread with a discussion about 6-8" lifts. But, I will say that you probably won't be happy with the 2" BL--even 1" gets to looking a little ugly. Maybe that doesn't matter to you? And, as has been stated, it's pretty easy to get to 37s without getting crazy right off the bat. No need for unnecessary lift--I expect you're well-aware that it doesn't improve ground clearance (just mall crawling pick-up truck drivers believe that nonsense). There is an FAQ how much lift is needed for various tires. I'd provide a link but this website befuddles me--the links at the top of the page are not for technical stuff--just website rules and such. So, I'll let you search for it unless someone else provides a real link.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys, and Yeah i know body lifts are more so bad for performance than anything else but are they really ugly? haha I have yet to see a 4dr jk with a 2in BL on it. Maybe that would change my mind.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Hmmm I'll do some research on it, as far as bumpers go can't I just remount them higher?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Do a search for planman. He has a writeup on how to stuff 37's and 40's with the least possible lift.

Quick Reply: Staged Suspension Plan Help!!