JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Start from scratch or frankenlift (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/start-scratch-frankenlift-295983/)

TaylarsJK 02-05-2014 01:34 PM

Start from scratch or frankenlift

I am starting to lift shop to replace my "rough" country 4" lift and after about 6 months of research I've narrowed it down to the RK 2.5 Mid Arm flex system with Billsteins, and the Teraflex 3" kit with Billsteins. The one issue I'm having with my decision is if I should strip down the whole rough country lift and replace it with a new one, or slowly piece together a frankenlift. Just fishing to see if anyone has personal experience with the same thing. Thanks

towel33 02-05-2014 01:48 PM

I was where you are at about a year ago and decided to gradually replace components and wound up with a frankenlift. I started out with a similar inexpensive lift (Rancho 4" Sport). I started by getting an adjustable trackbar (rubi Express) and getting rid of that bracket. Then did a draglink flip (EVO). Took a break at this point and went out and bought rubi axels. After that I swapped out the stock lowers for Rock Crawler adjustables, followed a few months later by the uppers and took out the brackets. I'm getting ready to move on to the rears and intend to swap out the springs at some point for Metalcloak or Rockcrawler 2.5/3 inch springs. After that is Arctec truss for the front and adding the body side mount for a 3-link in the rear (my new rubi rear came with the Rock crawler truss already installed). It never ends...

AlexjeepVb 02-05-2014 02:41 PM

Buy the RK kit and call it a day, I don't think you will be disappointed. Im running that with the bilsteins and love it.

TaylarsJK 02-05-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by towel33 (Post 3829256)
I was where you are at about a year ago and decided to gradually replace components and wound up with a frankenlift. I started out with a similar inexpensive lift (Rancho 4" Sport). I started by getting an adjustable trackbar (rubi Express) and getting rid of that bracket. Then did a draglink flip (EVO). Took a break at this point and went out and bought rubi axels. After that I swapped out the stock lowers for Rock Crawler adjustables, followed a few months later by the uppers and took out the brackets. I'm getting ready to move on to the rears and intend to swap out the springs at some point for Metalcloak or Rockcrawler 2.5/3 inch springs. After that is Arctec truss for the front and adding the body side mount for a 3-link in the rear (my new rubi rear came with the Rock crawler truss already installed). It never ends...

So financially have you spent more than you would've by getting an all new kit and selling your skycrapper?

TaylarsJK 02-05-2014 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb (Post 3829303)
Buy the RK kit and call it a day, I don't think you will be disappointed. Im running that with the bilsteins and love it.

Really what I'm leaning toward. Found a deal for $1100 for the Mid Flex with billsteins, it's hard to pass up.

DunnyBunny 02-05-2014 02:58 PM

Think I saw somewhere else on here that someone was running it cheaper. Like 1050 I think. Not a big difference though.

TaylarsJK 02-05-2014 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny (Post 3829321)
Think I saw somewhere else on here that someone was running it cheaper. Like 1050 I think. Not a big difference though.

It was probably me, I posted it last night haha

ABENDX 02-05-2014 03:37 PM

Buying components will allow you to get the right equipment for your needs, not what some company thinks you need.

Gman*2007 02-05-2014 04:50 PM

I started out with a level kit, then over time upgraded with Metal Cloak control arms, JKS adjusted track bars, Bilstein 5160 piggy back shocks & Crown extended brake lines. All I got left to do is the springs and drive shafts.

Maertz 02-05-2014 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ABENDX (Post 3829356)
Buying components will allow you to get the right equipment for your needs, not what some company thinks you need.

Damn straight build it like you want not how some company does. If you know what your doing id argue it can be set up better for your needs.