Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Start from scratch or frankenlift

Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start from scratch or frankenlift

I am starting to lift shop to replace my "rough" country 4" lift and after about 6 months of research I've narrowed it down to the RK 2.5 Mid Arm flex system with Billsteins, and the Teraflex 3" kit with Billsteins. The one issue I'm having with my decision is if I should strip down the whole rough country lift and replace it with a new one, or slowly piece together a frankenlift. Just fishing to see if anyone has personal experience with the same thing. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was where you are at about a year ago and decided to gradually replace components and wound up with a frankenlift. I started out with a similar inexpensive lift (Rancho 4" Sport). I started by getting an adjustable trackbar (rubi Express) and getting rid of that bracket. Then did a draglink flip (EVO). Took a break at this point and went out and bought rubi axels. After that I swapped out the stock lowers for Rock Crawler adjustables, followed a few months later by the uppers and took out the brackets. I'm getting ready to move on to the rears and intend to swap out the springs at some point for Metalcloak or Rockcrawler 2.5/3 inch springs. After that is Arctec truss for the front and adding the body side mount for a 3-link in the rear (my new rubi rear came with the Rock crawler truss already installed). It never ends...
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the RK kit and call it a day, I don't think you will be disappointed. Im running that with the bilsteins and love it.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by towel33
I was where you are at about a year ago and decided to gradually replace components and wound up with a frankenlift. I started out with a similar inexpensive lift (Rancho 4" Sport). I started by getting an adjustable trackbar (rubi Express) and getting rid of that bracket. Then did a draglink flip (EVO). Took a break at this point and went out and bought rubi axels. After that I swapped out the stock lowers for Rock Crawler adjustables, followed a few months later by the uppers and took out the brackets. I'm getting ready to move on to the rears and intend to swap out the springs at some point for Metalcloak or Rockcrawler 2.5/3 inch springs. After that is Arctec truss for the front and adding the body side mount for a 3-link in the rear (my new rubi rear came with the Rock crawler truss already installed). It never ends...
So financially have you spent more than you would've by getting an all new kit and selling your skycrapper?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
Buy the RK kit and call it a day, I don't think you will be disappointed. Im running that with the bilsteins and love it.
Really what I'm leaning toward. Found a deal for $1100 for the Mid Flex with billsteins, it's hard to pass up.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think I saw somewhere else on here that someone was running it cheaper. Like 1050 I think. Not a big difference though.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Think I saw somewhere else on here that someone was running it cheaper. Like 1050 I think. Not a big difference though.
It was probably me, I posted it last night haha
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buying components will allow you to get the right equipment for your needs, not what some company thinks you need.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

I started out with a level kit, then over time upgraded with Metal Cloak control arms, JKS adjusted track bars, Bilstein 5160 piggy back shocks & Crown extended brake lines. All I got left to do is the springs and drive shafts.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Buying components will allow you to get the right equipment for your needs, not what some company thinks you need.
Damn straight build it like you want not how some company does. If you know what your doing id argue it can be set up better for your needs.

Quick Reply: Start from scratch or frankenlift