Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Installation Help

Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter Installation Help

Hi. I fried my starter after trying to turn over a hydro-locked engine. Luckily my insurance covered the cost, but the shop (non-Jeep Dealer) had ordered, but didn't have time to install the new starter before I needed to pick the Jeep up.

I took her to a local dealership, and while my JK is under warranty, they refused to replace the starter because they had some pointed questions about why the battery, air-box, and serpentine belt on a 6,500 mile Jeep are new.

So I'm picking the Jeep up in the condition it's in and installing the starter myself. I have searched, but found no write-ups or specific instructions or advice on installing a new starter, and was hoping someone could help.

So main questions:

1. What are the tools required, and where could I find torque specs, if needed?
2. Is anyone aware of a write-up or directions buried somewhere? I don't have a JK Service Manual yet.
3. What are any major pitfalls associated with installing a new starter, if any?

Thanks for the help. This is the last thing I need to finish before she will be at 100% for the first time in months.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

torque
starter solenoid terminal nut 100 in lbs
Starter mounting bolts 40 FT lbs

1. disconnect and isolate neg battery cable
2. raise and support vehicle(do they forget its a jeep? lol)
3. While supporting the starter motor remove two bolts securing the starter motor to transmission
4. Lower starter motor far enoiugh to access and remove nut securing battery cable to starter soleniod terminal stud. Always support starter motor during this process. DO not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
5. Remove battery cable at starter
6. Disconnect solenoid terminal wire harness connector from starter solenoid.
7. Remove starter motor.

pretty much just reverse process for install, starter motor is very easy to do on most cars Sorry dont know what size the bolts are, but as long as you have a metric socket set your should be fine
Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll get to work as soon as the starter gets here and post any followup questions or problems I encounter here.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you end up installing the starter yourself? Was it hard? Any advice?

Thanks,

Dan

Quick Reply: Starter Installation Help