Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Adjustment Help

Old 07-18-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Adjustment Help

Hey everyone, so I have my lift on and everything is great, but now I need to adjust my steering wheel. I've tried to make a go of it but since my Jeep is from up north it's rusted nice and tight.

I hit it with some PB blaster and hope it soaks in and helps but after a couple hours it was still impossible to turn more than a quarter turn. I'll hit it again and let it soak for another day or two.

Any tips or tools you'd recommend to get it to break loose?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

My advise would be, that if you still have the stock drag link, to ditch it and install the Synergy drag link. I had a similar situation with my stock drag link, and that's what I did. I'ld also go ahead and replace the stock tie rod while you're at it.

Since you mentioned you just lifted, then I'm assuming larger tires are in the foreseeable future, if you haven't done that already? Beefing up those steering components, is the next step in the never ending mod progression and beefing up those components are pretty much a necessity when going to larger tires.

You can't go wrong with either the Steer Smarts Yeti, or Synergy steering upgrades.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that! Yeah, it's the Teraflex kit so I'm also gonna get new shocks to ditch the extensions and a front adjustable track bar.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You can try heat. Put a propane torch on it and see if that breaks the rust. A wire brush on the exposed threads may help. If you get that thing up to a nice 450 and it doesn't move... Call it a day and go aftermarket. I too have the synergy. The stock one is about $180 to replace and the synergy is $225. A no brainier.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:09 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

If it moves a quarter turn now, it will probably free up with the penetrating oil. Maybe soak, then exercise it to work in the penetrating oil. As a side note, I've used some stuff called "Deep Creep" that seemed to work faster than PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

Quick Reply: Steering Adjustment Help