Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Old 08-07-2018, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue

I just replaced my drag link and tie rod, and now my Jeep is driving strange. I have checked the camber and toe-in.

The biggest issue is when turning, the steering wheel just keeps turning and does not come back. I cant safely drive to get a professional alignment. Any help is very appreciated.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the Jeep is diving straight then an alignment won't be needed. I am not sure why the steering wheel is not returning to center becuase that usually happens because of centrifiical force on the wheels.

I hate saying this but check your steering stabilizer to make sure it is still working.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It's caster that returns the wheels to center; nothing to do with centrifugal force.

Is replacing the tie rod and drag link all that was done?

I agree with starting with the steering damper. Take it off and see if things improve.

If that's not the problem, see if the new tie rod and drag link are binding. Grab them and see if you can twist them on the rod end ball joints.

Quick Reply: Steering issue