Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer advice

Old 03-29-2018, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabilizer advice

Hello, I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse and I apologize up front but I've searched the threads and cannot find the answer I'm looking for. Here's the deal, I installed all new steering components including Yeti XD tie rod assembly, Yeti drag link flip, and RC track bar. The previous owner of my JKU installed a RC 2.2 dual stabilizer with the original steering system to try to get rid of the horrible driving manners and that naturally did not fix anything, much less help in any way. Now that everything is upgraded and the drop pittman arm has been removed the JKU drives a thousand times better. Now there is no death wobble or major bump steer. However, there is still a lot of feedback in the steering wheel when hitting several small bumps or any large ones. Keep in mind that I do not have a stabilizer installed at all at this time and I realize one is not needed but I do know that it will help with the feedback I'm getting in my steering wheel. I cannot reinstall the RC dual stabilizer with this tie rod assembly as it won't allow enough travel in either direction since the mounts on the tie rods would have to be in so much closer to the stabilizer so I need to go to a single. I've already ordered the Teraflex stabilizer mount for the tie rod assembly for whatever stabilizer I put on. (I actually ordered two thinking I could reuse the RC dual so need to sell one of them) I need some advice on the best stabilizer I can install without breaking the bank and I do not want gas charged. Also my track bar is installed in an RC relocation bracket so now I need a stabilizer relocation bracket that will also work with that RC bracket. I have a 3.5" lift as well. The problem I'm seeing on everything I'm looking at is all pics are showing them installed with stock tie rod assemblies and I'm trying to make sure I purchase everything just once and don't get something that will bind or not work at all due to my setup. Sorry this was long and again sorry if it's been discussed and I just wasn't able to find it. TIA
Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Just pick up a stock stabilizer on Craigslist or a forum, it does the job.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Yes, you don't need much more than stock. If you can't find a factory takeoff, the Teraflex 9550 VSS is ~$50 and is an inexpensive option. I'd still be looking closely at everything, doublechecking torque.....if you're still getting feedback in the steering wheel you have something to address. Is you're caster up over 4*? I see you have AEV brackets on.....but curious what your caster spec is if you've gotten a readout lately. Everything is torqued to spec, and all joints are 100% good? It sounds like you have a little bump steer still.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caster is 3.8* so my only option even with the aev brackets is to put adjustable control arms on. That will likely be happening soon. I've checked the torque on everything and everything is to spec, it wasn't when I purchased the Jeep. The only thing I haven't replaced is ball joints and U joints, but they are not showing signs of wear so didn't really feel the need to until they need to be replaced. There really isn't anything left to replace as far as steering is concerned, and I don't have any play in the steering box that I would consider out of the normal running 35's. And again, it's not bad at all, I was just looking to make it slightly smoother driving than it is now. Mine drives better in my opinion than a coworkers JKU completely stock. My reasoning for adding it is to only make it just a tinge better and relocate it from factory to above the tie rod for any offroading I'll be doing this summer. I'm sure I will find either a stock one or $50-$75 one on Amazon with a Synergy relocation bracket and call it a day. I just didn't know if anyone had a better setup that they really loved since I can no longer run the dual stabilizer.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I would bet dollars to donuts that if/when you get around to adjustable arms and raise that caster back up over 4*....in that 4-5* range, you'd see the rest of that bump steer even out. Keep in mind that caster is 4.2* from the factory, and small differences in caster can make a pretty noticeable effect. At 3.8* it seems you're still getting some bump steer, which isn't the end of the world. Y, cheap SS might help a bit, and you are aware of the real solution down the road.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer advice