Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer thoughts?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Stabilizer thoughts?

so I've had my JKS 2.5inch lift for about 3 weeks now, stock front track bar, Teraflex rear track bar bracket ( heavy model ), fox shocks at all 4 corners, 315/75R16 GY Duratracs ( 34.6inch ), steel wheels and stock front steering stabilizer. i get a bit of shake over broken up or bumpy pavement. its nothing serious, no signs of death wobble yet and i don't feel its severe at all. the front end is in good shape ( only 38,000km on the clock ). would a upgraded fox stabilizer help with the bump shimmy? like i said before its not severe and i don't feel like the jeep is unsafe. more of a comfort factor. save my money or go for it? 138.00 from Northridge
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you spend money on anything, try this link. Buying a new steering stabalizer can't hurt, but this is free if you can do it yourself.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FallschirmJaeger
Before you spend money on anything, try this link. Buying a new steering stabalizer can't hurt, but this is free if you can do it yourself.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

thanks! great read!

have a good one jumper!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would stick with the stock SS, its not as pretty as the fox, but if it ain't broke...
Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a similar slight wobble over bumps, not a DW, and i have had that before. Had the front end checked out, and found my balljoints were on the way out, so also check your balljoints and unis.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 AM
JK Junkie

x2, on what the others mentioned. The stock steering stabilizer works just as fine and upgrading to a beefier one would just mask the true culprit of what you are experiencing and without finding / fixing the problem would make matters worse by causing other parts to wear out or fail. The only reason why I would get an aftermarket SS is purely for aesthetic reasons. As an example I am running 5100 Bilstein shocks and I may get the matching SS.....
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aldaman
x2, on what the others mentioned. The stock steering stabilizer works just as fine and upgrading to a beefier one would just mask the true culprit of what you are experiencing and without finding / fixing the problem would make matters worse by causing other parts to wear out or fail. The only reason why I would get an aftermarket SS is purely for aesthetic reasons. As an example I am running 5100 Bilstein shocks and I may get the matching SS.....
Yeah what he said...I am in absolute no need of a new SS, but it would look nice to have it match my 5100s...
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Pretty is as pretty does. I run the Fox!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My steering stabilizer had a real soft spot. You could move it back and forth about an inch with no resistance. I replaced it and my light wheel shimmy stopped
Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
My steering stabilizer had a real soft spot. You could move it back and forth about an inch with no resistance. I replaced it and my light wheel shimmy stopped
Yup, as long as your current SS is damaged or no longer working effectively (no resistance / shot) then it should be replaced. But it shouldnt be used as a Band aide to mask the root problem.....

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer thoughts?