Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering wheel shake

Old 03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel shake

I just put on 33x12.50 15 inch rims on my jk with 1-25 inch wheel spacers. I had 2 use the spacers for the bolt pattern. My question is that i feel some shake in my steering wheel. It gets worse at higher speeds but keeps on going straight but kinda just vibrates in your grip. These tires came off an old yj that my son gave me. Could the wheels be out of balance or an unseen tire wear that is not noticable to the eye.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

get em balanced. That should solve the problem unless one or two of the tires are wore out. Then your just going to have to live with it.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you/they remove the OEM retainers from the wheel studs? They are the star washers installed from the factory. They will be installed on your wheel studs against your rotor, behind the rim. That will definitely cause a steering wheel shimmy with aftermarket wheels.

Quick Reply: steering wheel shake