Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

still don't know which gears

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about 4.56s?
i drive a lot of highway and right now with my 3.21s i can only get in 6th gear at aroun 75 or so.
i dont do any crawling at all. so super low gearing isnt a big deal. just want to be able to drive on the highway and feel good about the rpms and such.

i have a 6 speed by the way.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smbundy13
what about 4.56s?
i drive a lot of highway and right now with my 3.21s i can only get in 6th gear at aroun 75 or so.
i dont do any crawling at all. so super low gearing isnt a big deal. just want to be able to drive on the highway and feel good about the rpms and such.

i have a 6 speed by the way.
Assuming your sig is up to date and you have 35" tires, and from what you use your Jeep for, I'd say you're looking for more fuel economy then anything else.

3.21's with a 35 inch tire is under sized a lot! Recommended sizes would be anything from 3.91 to 4.27 (4.11's being the mid-point).

If you were looking to have a good balance of power / fuel economy, 4.56s would be it.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty happy with the 4.10s, 6-speed, and 35" Toyos on the 2 door Rubicon. In town acceleration is more than adequate if you tach the 3.8 out just a bit. On the interstate (80mph) a combination of 6th and 5th gets the job done 95% or the time.

There's always 5th and even 4th if you need a little more high speed performance. That's the beauty of the 6 speed transmission. Plenty of gears to choose from. I do feel sorry for you auto guys.

The other thing is that this is a Jeep, I certainly don't expect sterling high speed performance with it's brick like aerodynamics. But I don't want to sacrifice the ability to cruise endlessly at 80mph on the highway.

Having driven heavy 2 doors with both 5.13 and 4.88 gears I think I'm staying with the 4.10s. The 4.88 isn't as big a gain I'd hoped for, it seems you still need to downshift for steeper hills, it's pretty much like dropping down a gear with the 4.10s, and the 5.13 is definitely too many rpms on the interstate.

My main complaint with the gears is offroad. 5.13s would be great but I do drive the interstate, so what is needed is an Atlas 4-speed transfer case.
So that's where I'm going to put my money.

Quick Reply: still don't know which gears