Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Still have a wobble at 40 mph

Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have a wobble at 40 mph

I know,...i've read all the posts too. Everything is tight and torqued properly, my toe is fine and I've had my tires balanced twice within the year. I can look out of the window and see my left front tire shake back 0and forth, left to right, at ALL speeds, even though I can only feel it at 40 mph. Even though most people say that their wobble is gone after 45 or 50 mph, try looking out your window at the actual tire. My ride is smooth at higher speeds but my tire is still visibly shaking back and forth. Not death wobble!!! but annoying. Only the front tires too. I recently removed the bastard little star washer also...which were actually two per tire. Any other suggestions? I have the superlift 4 inch with 35" procomps, about 20,000 miles, rancho stabilizer, not a lot of offroad use, all proper torqued, but NO adjustable lowers or upper (soon) so I know my caster is off. I do have front and rear adjustable track bar and they are all perfect. My toe was out of wack the first few miles after I put my lift on, which was strange, so I'm concerned that this might be an issue. Will this make my tires visibly shake back and forth?

Thanks for anything.

randy
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap your tires from front to back. Then see if it still does it. Maybe you have a broken belt in your front tire. I can relate my Iroks just started doing the same thing at 65 so I took them off untill I get some new fronts. The rears are fine.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Break the tire beads back down and lubricate the hell out of both beads and the edges of the wheel also. No need to remove the tire off the rim. Ocasionally if a tire is mounted dry on the rim, it will not seat evenly and will ''wobble''. The wheel is NOT affected. Look at the wheel itself when spinning it - you should see the tire wobbling on a wheel running true. If the above is not the case, then close your eyes and run your hands palm down around the tread . If you have a shifted or broken belt you will feel it as a bulge or knot..... Your sidewalls WILL NOT feel smooth all the way around, they are normal with slight bulges where the belts are joined. Most times you are better off to run a large tire for a few hundred miles to allow the tire to shift and set. Then it can be balanced and you won't go thru the hassle of rebalancing over and over. Use only water based products to lube the beads, aerosol Windex works great.......
Old 09-13-2008, 07:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

a speed related wobble is almost always a balancing problem but... if you have steel wheels like it looks in your avatar, i have seen a few be out of round and that would sure as hell be the culprit as well.

Quick Reply: Still have a wobble at 40 mph