Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stinger/Winch question

Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger/Winch question

So i just put my lod stinger on and tomorrow ill be installing my winch.

My question is do my front air bags still work the same or at all?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air bags are set off by sensors in the front that measure directional force. If they sense enough g's, it will deploy the airbags. It all comes down to transfer of energy, so since the bumper/stinger are much stronger than other parts of the front of a stock jeep, it won't absorb much by crushing, and will in turn create more g's in a front end collision, causing the airbags to deploy in a lesser collision than normal, hypothetically. On the other hand, lifted jeeps have the structural area (frame) much higher than most other vehicles, so you will impact softer parts of the other vehicle meaning more energy absorbtion on their side, reducing the likely hood of airbag deploy. Its all very complicated and every crash is different, but to answer your question, yes it will affect it, and yes they will still work. They will deploy when the system decides you will need it based on force.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the thorough answer i appreciate it
Old 08-18-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're welcome! I've been in collision repair a long time and this is one of those things not many people even think about. Glad I could help

Quick Reply: Stinger/Winch question