Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock Rubicon

Old 02-05-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rubicon

I'm semi new to the off road game, and just bought a new Rubicon was wondering what size lift I should put on it? Was also wondering if I should go with 35's or 37in Tires? I didn't know if one would be better for rock crawling and everyday street use.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ClearSkyz
I'm semi new to the off road game, and just bought a new Rubicon was wondering what size lift I should put on it? Was also wondering if I should go with 35's or 37in Tires? I didn't know if one would be better for rock crawling and everyday street use.

Cheers
Congrats on the new Rubi! Depends on the how much money you want to spend and what you want to do. I have an 09 Rubicon Unlimited and it is my daily driver. I put a Teraflex 2.5" BB (Budget Boost) on it and will be upgrading to 33's when the stocks are worn. I've been able to do a whole lot with the BB and was still able to maintain the stock ride which is nice on the fwy. Anyway, I'm still kinda new at this as well, their are a bunch of knowledgeable peeps on this forum so I'm sure you get some good advice. Congrats again!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know lifts and tire size are a big temptation for any jeep owner, but I would advise you leave it stock and drive it offroad for a season as is. First, you'll find just how capable the Rubicon is out of the box (and it is capable), you will also know from experience what kind of mods you will want/need. Honestly, most people run tires bigger than their skill level. I've been wheeling the stock 32" Rubicon tire for a couple years now and clearance has rarely been as much of a problem as my own driver error. I wheel with a club where the guys usualy run 31" to 37" tires.
If you consider my advice and run stock for a year, put your money into skid plate protection that you'll want no matter the size tire. I'd recommend the benchmark designs skid for the evap canister! I run tough trails with the evap skid, benchmark oil pan, and riddler diff covers. I may scrape a skid from time to time, but that's what they are there for. I'm stable and still have my warranty!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Freak

I am certainly not a seasoned pro...just not quite two years into my Rubi. However, I did a small 2" spacer lift and have been armoring it up...new sliders, bumper, eval skid and snorkel...all from my personal experience on the trails...the mods take a life of its own. Right now I am leaning towards 2.5 bb and 33's when the stock tires die...get out there and have fun...you'll be amazed at what you can do bone stock! Then see from there what you want.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the info!! I think I will keep it stock for a "season" and see what I need to do after that...I have had an 04 Sport that has the 4in lift and 34's on it...I can tell the difference already with the Rubi and the longer body how it handles in the "rough"! I look forward to getting out there and pushing it to it's limits! And to meet some of you along the trails!

Till Then Cheers!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

I simply added a leveling kit, 35's and replaced the stock fenders with Bushwacker's flat fenders. It's all the lift & clearance I need plus it keeps the factory warrenty.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I decided to add some armor first and a front bumper and winch. I pretty much have the underside covered now.. I will continue to wheel 32's until they are worn out. I hope to do a lift this year sometime, but for now the armor I thought was more important as I have run against the bottom several times now..
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Get an evap relocation kit, and a good recovery kit. Then remeber that when adding bumpers and winch and what not, that it is going to lower your jeeps hight, so take that into consideration when you are looking at a lift. Talk to Dave at northridge4X4 if you really have questions.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock for a year is great advice! There's just soooo much tempting stuff out there and when you come across another JK with lift & wheels, the peer pressure is tough! Be strong. Just think of all the new wheel designs still to come in the next year.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

I think the 'wait a season' advice is excellent...I will wait until I have to replace the stock tires on my rubi before I make a change. Then I plan on a terra flex bb and 35's w/bushwacker fenders...ditto on calling David @ northridge! Let us know what you decide after your first season!

Quick Reply: Stock Rubicon