Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Stock shock with 2" lift = ok?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock shock with 2" lift = ok?

I have a Teraflex leveling kit, 2" in front/1" in rear. I am using stock Rubicon shocks, when offroading and hit any kind of bump, I hear what sounds like the front shock making a loud noise. Almost like a loud squeak, I'd swear it's my shocks. My tires are stock Rubi's so they are not bottoming out. Do I need shock extensions for only 2 ". On the road it drives great, just when I hit a bump.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that ecery thung is nice and tight, i would never run those shock extensions, think about all the stress the shocks will have to carry on that small shaft also add off roaring to the mix u will break one invest in some good shocks or get the cheapest in price springlift combo u can find and be done with it
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jonb1032
I have a Teraflex leveling kit, 2" in front/1" in rear. I am using stock Rubicon shocks, when offroading and hit any kind of bump, I hear what sounds like the front shock making a loud noise. Almost like a loud squeak, I'd swear it's my shocks. My tires are stock Rubi's so they are not bottoming out. Do I need shock extensions for only 2 ". On the road it drives great, just when I hit a bump.
You can also just get the shock extensions from synergy

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 10-06-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the stock shocks are making the noise unless one of them is broken or loose.

The factory shock length will not be a problem when hitting a bump. Meaning; a bump is compressing the shock and a stock length shock will not "bottom out" because of your leveling kit (or any lift).

It could only be a problem when at full droop because it will not be long enough and the short factory shock will stop the suspensions down travel and act as a "limit strap". You might hear a noise if that is what's happening.

I'm betting it's something else.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

You should be fine without extensions. Sounds like something has worked itself loose.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers, it is only making noise on the compression stroke(when hitting a bump). It is much to loud for a sway bar bushing. I will keep looking, I only heard it after the lift install.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jonb1032
Thanks for the answers, it is only making noise on the compression stroke(when hitting a bump). It is much to loud for a sway bar bushing. I will keep looking, I only heard it after the lift install.
I would look at the nut on top of the shock. There is also a round tube that goes thru the frame and sticks out a lot that the sway bar can hit since your axle will be slightly off center now.

Quick Reply: Stock shock with 2" lift = ok?