Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipe on a JK

Old 12-04-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe on a JK

So, couple of days after the purchase of my Brand spanking new wrangler 2dr X, I felt as though it was already time for a minor upgrade. I didn't have much money to spare, I just wanted to spend anywhere below $200. I went to the nearest muffler shop, and asked of what I can do. The guy told me straight up, let's cut your muffler. Now remember it's only been a few days since i got my new jeep, 6 days to be exact. Eager to see how it would sound like, I gave him the approval. Took him about 15 mins, to cut the muffler off, and weld on a straight pipe. It only took me $40 .

Here are some pix of the finished work. I took these pictures today, (4 months after I got them) but thought I'd share them here. I will also be recording a small video, to capture the sweet sound, and the backfire every time you let go of the throttle.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

well now lets hear it!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will you hear any crap about this from the cops in your area? isnt california hard on emissions.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did that but I took the stock muffler off myself and left it dropped down right behind the rearend. I liked it alot but I like the roar of my tires more.. Congrats theres nothing wrong with a cheap loud I had my JK like that for about 4000 miles and my 01 dakota 4.7 for a 100,000 miles along with a bunch of other rides...lol...I liked everyone. Cutting off stock muffler and running just cats...my very frist upgrade everytime but look where I live

<--------------------- no emissions
Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

My guess is that the modification will most likely decrease mileage and decrease performance. Some autos require a certain amount of back pressure. Not an expert though. I am big on a nice sounding exhaust too!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mufflers only muffle! They do not cut emissions. He will probably get a fixit ticket for excessive noise. Then again it Fontana.... They will just think he is going to the racetrack
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

MAN i hope it does not sound riced out
Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

I think it looks like shit IMO. And sounds like shit too IMO. I did it to mine and put the factory back on in a week. Too make it look better there is a guy on here who makes the tailpipe out of stainless/mandrelbent pipe with a polished tip. Dont need the heatshield anymore either. Any reason you had him exit it out on the right rear?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Uh..is that even legal in CA???
Probably not.. but I tend to pop it to neutral when I see Five O, or just shift to a high gear. Plus it's a jeep not a civic, let this american made roar.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marauder
MAN i hope it does not sound riced out
at low rpms, it sounds so niceee. I'll describe it throaty and just deep. At high rpms it tends to lose the deep sound, and adapt a higher pitch. So I ussualy just shift at around 2,000 to 2,500 rpm where I like the noise to be just right.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe on a JK