Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

superchargers

Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superchargers

Has anyone done a shoot out on Superchargers??? I know Ripp is a sponsor and I'm seriously looking at them.. But want to do this once and right... Hopefully they will be in Moab at the show... avenger , ripp and hesco.... Anyone else building one??? How about Kenne Bell?????? Any input would be greatly appreciated..... Just cant justify the Hemi although would be nice........ NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by XBroncoman
Has anyone done a shoot out on Superchargers??? I know Ripp is a sponsor and I'm seriously looking at them.. But want to do this once and right... Hopefully they will be in Moab at the show... avenger , ripp and hesco.... Anyone else building one??? How about Kenne Bell?????? Any input would be greatly appreciated..... Just cant justify the Hemi although would be nice........ NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm leaning towards the Avenger. Ripp has been responsive but I am very concerned with power down low and they don't seem able to address it. I don't care about HP bragging numbers at 4000 to 5500 rpm. The Avenger starts making torque at 1200-1400 rpm and at 2200 rpm you see a 45% increase in torque. In the real world that is a useable number. It also means you have the HP to maintain speed easily on the freeway and your auto will stay in OD. The Avenger is only 4500 and that includes a UniChip programmer. The RIPP looks like an easier install with the Avenger requiring a bit more mechanical ability (but still doable). I haven't heard much about the Hesco or Adventure. And like you I like the price point on the SC. If bucks were no object I'd drop a Hemi in, or perhaps a modified Cummins 4BT (the 6BT engine in the Dodge PU minus two cylinders). The 4BT would be cheaper than the Hemi, about 500# torque and get much better fuel economy.

I think I recall RIPP saying they would be at EJS and I know Jack from Avenger said he would be there.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It'd be interesting if we could buy the Avenger kit without the blower and buy a Kenne Bell twinscrew to put on in it's place. As long as Kenne Bell has a mounting plate similar to the Eaton that Avenger uses it should work since kenne bell has many different snout lengths you can buy. A 2.1L Kenne Bell twinscrew would be PERFECT. Low end grunt w/o the heat that te roots eaton makes, plus lower parastitic losses, plus the high end power output of the centrifugal supercharges make. I'm more partial to twinscrews since I know how they work and have used them on my '04 Cobra since it was new.

Last edited by highoctane; 02-24-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chuck45 where did you get Avengers #'s.... their site is all on the old tj supercharger...... and 3.8 install never saw the performance #'s I agree low end would be best..... Not sure I like the hood cut though
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by XBroncoman
Chuck45 where did you get Avengers #'s.... their site is all on the old tj supercharger...... and 3.8 install never saw the performance #'s I agree low end would be best..... Not sure I like the hood cut though
I called and spoke to Jack, the owner of Avenger. The hood cut is an issue. He includes a scoop to install and I think the new hood from, is it TMD, might work with it. Jack says the reason for the scoop is the angle at which the 3.8 sits in the vehicle. Also the blower sit's higher because it sits on a water to air intercooler that adds thickness/height.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
I called and spoke to Jack, the owner of Avenger. The hood cut is an issue. He includes a scoop to install and I think the new hood from, is it TMD, might work with it. Jack says the reason for the scoop is the angle at which the 3.8 sits in the vehicle. Also the blower sit's higher because it sits on a water to air intercooler that adds thickness/height.
Would the AEV hood clear it?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
Would the AEV hood clear it?
Jack says no it won't. Too bad. Although the other aftermarket heat reduction style hood may.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by highoctane
It'd be interesting if we could buy the Avenger kit without the blower and buy a Kenne Bell twinscrew to put on in it's place. As long as Kenne Bell has a mounting plate similar to the Eaton that Avenger uses it should work since kenne bell has many different snout lengths you can buy. A 2.1L Kenne Bell twinscrew would be PERFECT. Low end grunt w/o the heat that te roots eaton makes, plus lower parastitic losses, plus the high end power output of the centrifugal supercharges make. I'm more partial to twinscrews since I know how they work and have used them on my '04 Cobra since it was new.
I guess you could call Jack and ask him if he'd be willing to try it. I looked and saw the Kenne Bell sells the 2.1 for 1900. Maybe he'd go for it. It's too bad KB doesn't offer a kit for JK's.

Is the KB that much better than the Eaton? It's not like you can push the 3.8 all that hard. The numbers Jack has been getting have been with 4.5 to 5# of boost.

Although I have heard, not from Jack or anybody associated with his shop, that a customer of his decided he didn't care whether he blew his 3.8 up and went to 7 psi, then 10 and now is at 12 and it's held together. Supposedly the dyno numbers at 10 psi were pretty spectacular. The good thing is that the JK injectors, unlike the TJ injectors, are at the low end of their duty cycle and can put out a lot more fuel.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
I guess you could call Jack and ask him if he'd be willing to try it. I looked and saw the Kenne Bell sells the 2.1 for 1900. Maybe he'd go for it. It's too bad KB doesn't offer a kit for JK's.

Is the KB that much better than the Eaton? It's not like you can push the 3.8 all that hard. The numbers Jack has been getting have been with 4.5 to 5# of boost.

Although I have heard, not from Jack or anybody associated with his shop, that a customer of his decided he didn't care whether he blew his 3.8 up and went to 7 psi, then 10 and now is at 12 and it's held together. Supposedly the dyno numbers at 10 psi were pretty spectacular. The good thing is that the JK injectors, unlike the TJ injectors, are at the low end of their duty cycle and can put out a lot more fuel.

That $1900 price is just the compressor and inlet itself. You'd still need the snout, pulley, bypass valve, base plate, etc. I'd think it could still be all done for $3000, plus the cost of the Avenger kit, minus the Eaton blower. I would imagine 7-8psi would last a long time on this engine as long as it had plenty of fuel injector and fuel pump duty cycle, the maf doesn't peg, and the intercooler is efficient and keeps the blower discharge temps under 120 deg under wot and full boost. I know on Mustangs with hypereutectic pistons and a cast crank and rods 10-12 lbes will last a good long time, and 14lbs is considered the max but will still last a good time with a good, safe tune.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually just checked the Kenne Bell site and they list a 1.33L compressor. That'd prob be perfect for the 3.8L. Judging by the pics on Avenger's site I'm assuming the eaton blower for the jk kit is an Eaton M90. The 1.33L would prob be perfect for our little engine.

Quick Reply: superchargers