Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 05-30-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the 91 tune. I see maybe around 1-1.5 mpg gain.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
Oh yea? cuz I am gonna read through 154 pages to find the answer to my question...ya douche ass
I don't even know you and I love you..................................... ..................... In a non-prison-type of way of course.

I run the tow setting and have found it's the perfect blend of power, shift response, and mileage. The 87 and 91 settings were ok, but I felt the shift points with the tow setting was the best.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default tow tune

I actually had to tow a trailer earlier this week and set it for tow tune.

I've since unhitched, but still leave it on tow tune.

It runs great.

I have an unlimited with hard top and 35 inch toyo's. The pedal reponse and acceleration feels responsive and doesn't even feel like I have all that weight.

I haven't done the math on mpg. I may switch to 93 tune, but not sure if the price difference vs. performance is worth it.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Valuable thread. I don't have a SuperChip yet, but this thread provides concise answers to what I want to know before buying one for my mostly stock JK. Many of the other SuperChip threads go into great detail about calibration for non-stock tire sizes, gearing, and lowering TPMS limits. I only want to know about which tune is best for improving the auto transmission's shift points. Thus far, to me, this thread suggests the tow tune.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since switching to the tow tune I have hit 19 mpg with city/rural driving an 0 highway miles. That is up from around 17.5 mpg with the 87 octane setting. I would like to give the 93 octane a go but most gas stations around here top out at 92.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nukeman
I don't even know you and I love you..................................... ..................... In a non-prison-type of way of course.

I run the tow setting and have found it's the perfect blend of power, shift response, and mileage. The 87 and 91 settings were ok, but I felt the shift points with the tow setting was the best.
Haha, thanks man. I just don't get some people. Who is going to scrounge through 154 pages and try to consolidate an answer to a specific question from that? Not sure why one more thread bothered that dude since there is only about 25,000 threads in the modifed jk section alone. I said it once and I will say it again, "Douche Ass". Now, my man-gina needs some cleaning...still feels a little sandy.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Junkie

I am currently running the 93 tune. I don't feel a seat of the pants difference between it and the 87 tune, but I have made note of efficiency gains. My gas mileage increases just shy of 10% and my fuel cost goes up 8% with the current 2.49 regular/2.69 premium costs. Around $2 per gallon and above was where I estimated it paid for itself to run premium.

I also notice myself needing to downshift less with the 93 tune. For me that's great for a long haul like I had this weekend. 800 miles, largely over rolling hills and I didn't bog down much. Maintained speed, used the cruise control and rarely took it out of 6th.

Lastly, and as others have mentioned the 91 tune is probably the real cost/value tune. At a dime per gallon more I'm sure you would see a better than 5% efficiency gain, have all the octane required of the tow tune and be good to go.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the 87 tune. While I did the superchip and the 5.13s at the same time, I am sure the gears made the most difference in performance.

I am getting 17.1 mpgs on the 87 tune with consitant hwy/city mix, on 35s. I have a granny foot too!

I am honestly too cheap to pay the extra $$ for the better gas to run the 91 tune yet. I think I am gonna try to the mileage saver tune soon and see how that works out.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
I am honestly too cheap to pay the extra $$ for the better gas to run the 91 tune yet. I think I am gonna try to the mileage saver tune soon and see how that works out.
I would encourage you to make an mpg comparison between the 87 tune and the 91 tune. You mentioned your average fuel mileage is 17.1 mpg and if the additional octane with 91 tune buys you above 17.7 with where the national average prices are, it will be costing you less per mile.

More timing advance with a slower burning fuel will enable more power per stroke. With 3 of the 4 strokes being parasitic, getting a longer power stroke will increase fuel mileage.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
Haha, thanks man. I just don't get some people. Who is going to scrounge through 154 pages and try to consolidate an answer to a specific question from that? Not sure why one more thread bothered that dude since there is only about 25,000 threads in the modifed jk section alone. I said it once and I will say it again, "Douche Ass". Now, my man-gina needs some cleaning...still feels a little sandy.
Dude, you were bumping your own thread and whining that nobody was responding, you even said "this discussion has been played out too many times" and "I haven't really seen anything on it". Right? I simply indicated that one reason for it may be that there was another thread, just a few down from yours, that had A HUNDRED AND FIFTY FOUR pages. Nobodys fault but your own that YOU are too freaking lazy to read...

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions