Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 08-04-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Call them up and ask for a return if you aren't happy.
Exactly...if you don't like the thing ask for your money back.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No way Superchips would get this thing back from me.

It actually has improved some more after 500+ miles on the 91 tune. This is on an engine now with 10,600 miles on it, all but the first 50 on 35" Toyos. I usually run 91 or 93 octane in it and it's very smooth with a sizeable increase in low end torque.
It holds or very nearly holds speed in 6th on some interstate grades that previously lost speed in 5th! And it now pulls good enough in the higher rpms to warrant a downshift to 4th if you wish to make an uphill pass, something only dreamed about before the Superchips. The Rubicon is so much more driveable at interstate and secondary road commuting speeds that I've ditched the supercharger idea, and even put the gears on hold temporarily.
I'll get the axles, CTMs, an on-board compressor, half doors ($2K, OEM Jeep, I'll pay that), and upgrade the skid plates first.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your Jk looks badass! I like it!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:13 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry about the somewhat terse statement.

I've seen plenty of the same sort of thing with the Flashpaq on the Dodge Ram when they pulled the "tunable" portion from that product. There were a few people who really needed things beyond canned tunes, with ported heads, big cams and after market throttle bodies. When SC became part of MSD they had a CARB mandate, and "tuning" went out the window as a feature to be included. For those that really needed they had the option of a return as SC didn't deliver on an advertised feature. No harm, no foul, send it back and get what did the job for them.

Several years into this and these same people who moved on still complain about it. It gets old and it is what it is. The liability for SC with an undelivered feature is giving you a refund. That is unless you want to claim pain and anguish from having a light come on and a chime. From a legal perspective, the announced feature that removes a safety monitoring device is something that could potentially kill you and I would think that the manufacturer is deserving of the time it takes to put into writing that if you use this feature and are stupid about it, it can kill you. Just do a little reading on the Ford/Firestone issue to see what caused TPMS to be there in the first place and the costs the two companies endured in their legal struggles.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Put 91 in today, I went from 11.84 on the 87 tune to 11.25 on the 91 tune 0-60. I hate to know what the time was stock. There is an increadable difference with the Flashpaq as apposed to without. The monitoring features are awsome as well. Today I played with Air intake temperature, Engine temp, engine load and throttle position. It will display up to four of probably 20+ parameters in live action on the screan at any time. AWSOME. My wife loves this thing. She was passing left lane on the freeway diggin it. I better tone it down though or I am going to get a ticket, this 0-60 at every light is getting stupid.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly...if you don't like the thing ask for your money back.
I bought my Flashpaq from Northridge 4x4. I traded some e-mails with David about returning it. There was an implied threat that unless the box and everything was in perfect re-saleable condition I'd get tagged with a 30% restocking fee. He would simply resell the unit, which I don't think is right, but apparently sending them back to Superchips is difficult for them.

I contacted Superchips this AM about returning it directly to them and this is the response I got:

We just released the TPMS feature to the internet update system. You can update the tuner and it will put that feature into the programmer.
Had the guy that runs their forums known it was this close to release it would have saved a hell of a lot of typing!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scooter Scott
Can that be verified?
X2

I am at work and don't think they would be too keen on my plugging unknown dongles into the PCs. They may think I am trying to take something.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Just updated the SC and holly crap there is a TPMS on the SC

Installed on the jeep and the only option is for front tires with running pressure down to 26 psi.

SC said that it will calculate when to turn on TPMS light?

Should help those of us who run 26-28 psi, but for the trail it appears the light will still be on.

Last edited by greglawrencedc; 08-05-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a link to a thread I started on the Superchips forum concerning TPMS for JK Wrangler:
http://app.flashpaq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5869

Here's the quote that answers the minimum pressure question:
Front Tire placard: 26-75 psi
Rear Tire placard: 26-75 psi

From the customer's input we will calculate the Minimum Activation Pressure to 25 percent below the placard pressures, with a minimum value of 20 psi. This is in 100% compliance with the Tread Act.
Edited out some white space and added the emphasis.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

After trying the 91 tune and a fresh tank of fuel I just realized something....

I should have gotten bigger tires.

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions