Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Superchips question, should I be concerned about side effects?

Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips question, should I be concerned about side effects?

Just wondering if using a Superchip or like perfomance enhancer will damage anything or lessen the life span of the effected components?
I ask because a) im a nub to this type of mod. b) I make the assumption that the Jeep is set up the way it is for a reason? I understand why I would want to improve the performance but at what cost when using something that changes the charateristics of the factory set computer?
I get the mechanical parts and improvments but Im not educated on cpu controlled systems and have concerns of the long term effects of meesing with such.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would seem that way considering the variety of tunes and performance levels. All of those outcomes seem possible.

I have thought about purchasing a programmer or sprint booster for my JK many times. These thoughts also crossed my mind, especially concerning the longevity of I would like to expect from the drive train. I am not really too upset with the power or performance of my Jeep though, and sometimes think just a ProCal might suffice.

The Superchips has all those other cool features too, so even if you purchase it and don't use the tunes you can still control TPMS, engine idle, speedometer, Gear ratio, etc. for the life of the JK. Just thinking out loud, if you have the cash for the Superchips, Snatch one up
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I have one and all I use it for is to set my tire size so speedo is correct. The air pressure setting is also useful but I had mine set by a bud before I got the programmer so haven't used it for that yet.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

They are all aftermarket products, so there will always be warranty concerns with any of them.

The ProCal doesn't affect tuning, just programs in some new variables. It is the least invasive.

Other than some 'pinging' issues with certain tunes in certain conditions on the Flashpaq, I have not heard of any:
perfomance enhancer will damage anything or lessen the life span of the effected components?
There is a huge amount of data about the Flashpaq here, and people have been using them since they came out (How long now, 1.5 years? 2 years?)

Assuming you have a good relationship with your dealer, I'd guess that you are pretty safe with one...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

The factory sets the computers to get the best milage while making the least toxic emissions, which leaves a good bit to be desired if you want a spirited driving vehicle. The tuners change parameters to make engine run smoother & perform better but sometimes at a detriment to emissions. If you use one you can return to stock tune before dealer servicing and in my opinion with out destroying your Jeep.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kittisman
The factory sets the computers to get the best milage while making the least toxic emissions, which leaves a good bit to be desired if you want a spirited driving vehicle. The tuners change parameters to make engine run smoother & perform better but sometimes at a detriment to emissions. If you use one you can return to stock tune before dealer servicing and in my opinion with out destroying your Jeep.
There is a lot more as to how vehicles are tuned to roll off the line. Many areas of how the stock tune was derived are compromises to others with contrary initiatives. Emissions and efficiency certainly play a role, as do smoothness in shifts and placing the least amount of stress on mechanicals. Heavy amounts of torque management aren't necessarily good for efficiency or emissions, but they do lessen drive train stress and promote smoother shifts.

Superchips programmers are 50 state legal, CARB compliant and adopt CAFE standards. So they aren't choking the environment to achieve performance gains. There has been a lot of noise about this in other forums as there are certainly larger gains to be had by not being 50 state legal.

For the performance enthusiast, there are a number of improvements that are made in comparison to the elastic pants targeted Chrysler customer. What Chrysler pulled off the table for smoothness and comfort is contrary to components to the wishes of the performance minded. Quite simply Superchips is able to pull some of those compromises off the table and builds their tune with the single focus on performance.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

so it seems so far that I have nothing to be concerened about other than an improvment in performance?
Just seems to good to be true..... I really want to get one of these and likely will.

Maybe the question I should ask is has anyone had any issues using a Superchips programer?

Thanks again everyone this forum is so helpfull.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

You will definately get side effects with a superchips flashpaq. Don't let anyone tell you different. They will include:

1) Smiling
2) Enjoying driving your jeep
3) Not being passed by an 80 year old driving a smart car towing a large boat
Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

sold Ill order it now.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Topjimmy
Maybe the question I should ask is has anyone had any issues using a Superchips programer?
There have been a lot of hiccups reported, but many of them are user error. Turning the key to 'Acc' instead of 'On', not clicking the 'yes' box when downloading the tpms functionality. Or changes with a new model year of JK, stuff like that.

When there is an actual issue, superchips is great about getting them taken care of. Let them know the problem, and they'll send a custom tune with your 'fix' in it, you just have to update the tuner as normal.

Quick Reply: Superchips question, should I be concerned about side effects?