Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension feedback

Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension feedback

I know you guys are probably exhausted with this question, but I really would like to get some feedback on my approach, and before I spend money.

I have a 2016 JKU Sport X, that gets used at the beach. We take it “off-road” 2-3 times a week, which means that it gets driven in deep sand. In stock form, I have never questioned its abilities to get me through the sand. It rarely, but occasionally, bottoms out or drags the belly across the sand. My only complaint is the horrible ride. In the sand or on the road, it’s bouncy and I’m constantly checking to see if I’ve knocked any of my passengers out from head injuries. Slowing down isn’t always an option if the sand is particularly powdery.

My long term intentions are to upgrade to 33” and wider tires when my factory tires no longer work in the sand.

I’ve recently test driven a standard Colorado and a Colorado ZR2. The standard truck exhibited some of the poor handling characteristics that my Jeep does, while the ZR2 did not. Even though it had a stiffer ride, the high dollar shocks controlled the vehicle appropriately, which results in a much more comfortable ride.

After driving those, I’ve thought that maybe I could address the ride quality issue with a good set of shocks. I had bilsteins on my old 4Runner and my TJ and liked those shocks, so I looked at bilsteins for the JKU. But Based on research it looks like they ride too harsh, they can’t be serviced, and they may not hold up to the salt environment? I’m not a big fan of buying throw away parts when there are options available. I’d rather buy the part once and have it serviced when needed. Which leads me to Fox shocks. The problem with those is that they require a 1.5” lift in order to get a set that can be serviced. Initially I wanted to avoid lifting the jeep, because I didn’t want to have to address the alignment issues that come along with lifting. However, it looks like I could get a set of synergy 1” springs and with my lightweight JKU I should see ~1.5-2” of lift and that should not throw off the suspension alignment too much.

So, what do you guys think. Do those 1” springs combined with a set of Fox 2.0 performance shocks (with remote reservoir) seem like a good solution? Or should I just stick with a throw away shock and avoid lifting the jeep and any problems that arise from lifting it? If I go with a non-serviceable shock, it will likely be the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks without remote reservoirs.

Thanks for reading this far.

Last edited by jmauld; 07-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Carolina Beach? That's just down the road. The bilstein's are nice and like any other shock, they'll look like hell if you don't apply a good clear coat before installing them. It sucks the consumer has to do this but it makes for a cheaper price. The fox will do the same thing down the road.

As far as ride- tires and tire pressure make the difference. My stock tires sucked royally so I went to a different tire and the ride changed drastically. I've made the move to 35's but you're still looking to lower tire pressure a little bit to ease the ride.

I've run the bilstein shocks and enjoyed them. My current Rancho 5000x's are nice as well, albeit not as nice (in my opinion) as the 5100's. Rancho also makes a 9000x that is fully adjustable if you want more or less pressure based on where you're driving.

Best of luck, maybe we'll see you out on the beach.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (07-17-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

With a 2.5” or under there really is no alignment issues that are not easily addressed. Center steering wheel=free, correct caster =$100-200 via geo brackets or fixed control arms from teraflex,synergy,rock krawler or jks.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2.5 inch Rock Krawler lift with Fox shocks in my 07 Sport, I love my RK suspension. The ride is nice, and the Fox shocks complaint it as well. You may also want to replace your lower control arms when you lift it or it will feel a little flighty. I replaced mine with Rock Krawler arms. Drives like a dream.
The following users liked this post:
Rock Krawler Suspension (07-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AEV DualSport 2.5" lift would work well.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran across a set of Recon springs that should give me an ~1" lift. I'm going to install those, measure the lift amount and then order shocks based on the measurement.

Quick Reply: Suspension feedback