Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Suspension, wheels, gears

Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension, wheels, gears

I'm new to all of this upgrading stuff for my wrangler, so please bear with me if I ask something stupid or obvious, and hey, everyone has to start off somewhere, right?

I'd like to put in 33" tires on my JK, so would regearing my 6spd to 4.88 be recommended or can I keep it at stock? Also, I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but where do you get your JK regeared for things like that?
And as far as suspension goes, I've read that I don't need to lift my JK if all I want to put in is 33" tires, yet there is the issue with rubbing. Would you guys recommend a suspension lift, or just an inexpensive body lift?

I'm probably just going to be doing beginner to moderate off-roading with no rock crawling.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

hey e0987c5t3, welcome to JK-Forum.com!!

regarding your questions, first off, let me say that no apologise are necessary as no question is a dumb one in my book. second, with 33's, you do not need a lift to clear them but you may see some minor rubbing at a full flex and at a full turn. most of this depends on which tire brand you get as all measure differently. also, i think you will find that your stock gears will be fine and if it were me, i would wait till you're up on bigger tires like 35's before regearing and at that point, i would go with 5.13's. as for where to get your jeep regeared goes, being that you're in texas, i would recommend screaming lizard customs
Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e0987c5t3
I'm new to all of this upgrading stuff for my wrangler, so please bear with me if I ask something stupid or obvious, and hey, everyone has to start off somewhere, right?

I'd like to put in 33" tires on my JK, so would regearing my 6spd to 4.88 be recommended or can I keep it at stock? Also, I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but where do you get your JK regeared for things like that?
And as far as suspension goes, I've read that I don't need to lift my JK if all I want to put in is 33" tires, yet there is the issue with rubbing. Would you guys recommend a suspension lift, or just an inexpensive body lift?

I'm probably just going to be doing beginner to moderate off-roading with no rock crawling.

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.
How about a little information about your rig? If you have 3.73's or above, you really do not need to regear to run 33's. I am running 33's with 3.21's! (Okay it is not great, but 4.10's would be great for me)

A lot depends on if you have a 6speed, what kind of wheeling you want to do, etc. For a good daily driver, I would recommend a 2.5" lift for your 33's, it will make things fit better and look better.

Quick Reply: Suspension, wheels, gears