Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping '13 JKU Rear Cargo Molding to Pre '12 Molding???

Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts
Default Swapping '13 JKU Rear Cargo Molding to Pre '12 Molding???

First off.....questioned where to put this thread. If it's more appropriate in a different forum feel free to move it.

Has anyone with a ’13+ JKU replaced the rear contoured molding by the tailgate with the older style molding that just covered the seat belt unit itself?

This is the '13 contoured molding -

and this appears to be the pre '12 molding that covered only the seat belt unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong -

I presume there is no conflict using the older style molding. I’m prepping to raptor line my tub, and once I pulled out that contoured molding I liked the look as it would improve the appearance of my storage unit. That contoured molding made it difficult to create a nice looking top right there….something that could be lifted up and flipped over the middle seats to sleep on. I think I’m going to swap to the old molding and build a new storage box top.

This is what it looks like once that molding is out -

and this is the old issue....hard to make it look nice around that molding -

Thinking it would be so much easier to build nice looking structure a la what Ronjenx originally did without that molding there. Everything would get bedlined, including the structure, for a nice clean finished look.

Anyone see some obvious reason I can't just change over to the older style plastic molding that just covers the seat belt unit itself? Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Actually having a hard time locating the older part online. can someone advise.....is that just a cover over the older seat belt assembly, or is that "cover" integrated with the assembly itself?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

ugh, d@mmit. It looks like that isn't a cover, but actual part of the seat belt assembly. Back to the drawing board.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-10-JEEP-...1VX2nW&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Swapping '13 JKU Rear Cargo Molding to Pre '12 Molding???