Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Swapping front bb to springs!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OKAY.. Last time im going to ask about the bb! so got my 2.5 bb sorted out, well front is sagged about 1 inch more or less.. So keeping the rear bb, it sits high enough. So I know I have to swap in springs up front. already have rancho 7000 shocks when I did the BB.
Questions:
1.Should I get the teraflex 2.5 in springs? Or should I get the 3 in springs?
(sag is due to winch, I have on a stock bumper)
2. Will I need any other supporting modifications with the springs? (Already have everything from BB and shocks.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-556698358.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	354504  

Last edited by Dawdge; 08-15-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Oh! And it is an 07 rubicon 2 door! 66k miles
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat. I have teraflex BB and just picked up some 2.5" springs that I'm about to install. Not sure about your kit but mine doesn't need anything else because the kit came with longer links, brake line extensions, and extended bump stops. Also I refrained from going to 3" springs only because I wasn't sure if it would over extend my shocks and I didn't want to have any driveline issues.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Malan35
I'm in the same boat. I have teraflex BB and just picked up some 2.5" springs that I'm about to install. Not sure about your kit but mine doesn't need anything else because the kit came with longer links, brake line extensions, and extended bump stops. Also I refrained from going to 3" springs only because I wasn't sure if it would over extend my shocks and I didn't want to have any driveline issues.
Well is the 3in going to sag? Like my stock springs? (or are they beefier) If it does it will level out my jeep? Well I already upgraded my shocks so I'm not worried about over extending them, however I'm just worried if I'm buying the correct springs, and if i need anything more with swapping to springs? Malan, also, are you just going to install 2.5 in springs in front and back?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

I am running a 3" front coil and a 2.5" bb in the back and my jeep is now level. I will throw out there that my stock springs in the rear are the heavy duty springs (59's) and so there was a big difference with my fronts and the rake. The 3" coils leveled it out but it had to settle for about a week after the install before it was level to my taste. I also replaced my shocks at the same time so I went with longer travel shocks to be safe. If you are running a winch with some extra weight I would go with the 3" coil or you will probably end up in the same boat again with the 2.5" coils.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
I am running a 3" front coil and a 2.5" bb in the back and my jeep is now level. I will throw out there that my stock springs in the rear are the heavy duty springs (59's) and so there was a big difference with my fronts and the rake. The 3" coils leveled it out but it had to settle for about a week after the install before it was level to my taste. I also replaced my shocks at the same time so I went with longer travel shocks to be safe. If you are running a winch with some extra weight I would go with the 3" coil or you will probably end up in the same boat again.
Yeah that's what I was thinking witty, well I would get the 4 door 2.5 inch front springs so it would be a 2 doors 3 inch springs, yeah mine is the same way my rear is almost an 1.5 inches higher.., also have the 59's in back..looks like I'm going to be purchasing new springs Monday! Now should I also replace my bb in back as well? If I went with this will I have to replace anything? My rear would be 2.5 in springs... Any input?? Have everything that came in the bb kit. Extended brake lines extended bumpstops.. Ect ect...
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dawdge
Well is the 3in going to sag? Like my stock springs? (or are they beefier) If it does it will level out my jeep? Well I already upgraded my shocks so I'm not worried about over extending them, however I'm just worried if I'm buying the correct springs, and if i need anything more with swapping to springs? Malan, also, are you just going to install 2.5 in springs in front and back?
Neither 2.5 or 3" will sag more than .5". They are not the same as factory springs. I am doing 2.5 springs front and rear. From what everyone that has installed them says, it will yield a 3.1" lift and then with bumpers, winch, etc., it will settle to a little more than 2.5" lift.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Malan, thanks for the quick response! From what I have read I have been on other forums and searching and asking around here I guess I was always getting a gray answer. Thank you, looks like I'm going with 3in up front and 2.5 in back...You have no idea how many nights I been scratching my chin on debating weather or not to pull the trigger.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on loading up your JK (heavy bumpers, spare tire carrier, winch, kitchen sink) then I would suggest the 3" coils. Otherwise the 2.5" coils will be just fine for you.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Cool! Thanks

Last edited by Dawdge; 08-15-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Swapping front bb to springs!