Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Synthetic winch rope....

Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the X-Line.
Not cheap, but temperature rating and load capacity were my selection criteria.
The Viking Line was the best I found price wise. 4x4RockShop has them for $250 with free shipping.

I had a steel line break on a 70ft pull and it slammed into the back of my jeep when it broke. Good thing no one was in the danger zone.

Last edited by stockYJ; 03-21-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM
JK Super Freak

as much as i agree about synthetic rope

i do want to mention that metal cable when used properly with proper maintenance works perfectly...point being, in the last couple of years everyone has switched to synthetic, but cable is fine too

for me, i use my winch very rarely, and my jeep stands outside all year long, so for me synthetic rope is not an option, while metal cable last years and years, all it takes is a spray of wd40 to keep it lubed once in a while

this is not a bash on synthetic, i am just purely trying to say that the metal cable can be used just fine
Old 03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
davidsali

Does synthetic rope break down quicker than the steel cable? I will use the winch maybe 10 times a year, otherwise it will just sit on the spool of a 9500ti behind a AEV bumper. I like the saftey factor you speak of with the synthetic, but should I just stay with steel so I so not have to replace it as often?
Also what is the weight difference, as the JK will have front and back winches?
Thanks for the the help.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The weight difference is amaziningly different. Maybe 15 pounds for 100 feet. I way about as much as a winch so I only use Synthetic. Plus it is so much safer and easier to handle.

Like someone said earlier - Masterpul is my brand of choice. Size to size in my experience it has higher capacity for pulling.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:20 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its rare for cable to brake under wheelin conditions but my uncle almost died from being hit in the face by a cable that broke and whiplashed. He's lucky and only has a scar today but its still not pretty. Granted this was a drilling rig and it was a 1/2" cable but the stuff still scares me. Iv also seen it brake on several cranes and it can really mess some stuff up.

As far as synthetic cable goes, any kind of force in the wrong direction can cause stress and damage. Don't step on it, run it over or clip the hook directly on the rope. Use shackles and tree savers, straps ect. Taking care of the rope will make it last much longer.

Quick Reply: Synthetic winch rope....