Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Vent Question

Old 09-18-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tailgate Vent Question

I keep getting water in my back floor, center tailgate when it rains. When looking at the vent, it looks like it's missing parts - you can see holes on the sides where it looks like something snaps in or over the vent. Thought I was missing something, so ordered a new one from dealer and the new one looks exactly the same. In the pic below you can see where it looks like something might clip in/over the vent???? Anyone smarter than me and can explain this? Cant figure this one out..... .
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Vent.png
Views:	186
Size:	820.0 KB
ID:	674996
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socal73
I keep getting water in my back floor, center tailgate when it rains. When looking at the vent, it looks like it's missing parts - you can see holes on the sides where it looks like something snaps in or over the vent. Thought I was missing something, so ordered a new one from dealer and the new one looks exactly the same. In the pic below you can see where it looks like something might clip in/over the vent???? Anyone smarter than me and can explain this? Cant figure this one out..... .
Attachment 674996
I had to deal with my tailgate vent when putting on my tramp stamp. There is a part on the inside that snaps to the part on the outside. I took super glue and glued both pieces together making it one piece. Once you do that you can slide the vent in and it will snap into place. I am not sure if these two pieces are supposed to be one or not, but mine came apart. You might want to feel down inside your tailgate and see if the inside piece fell down inside the tailgate itself. Other than that you might have a top/roof leak on your jeep. Hope that helps some
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
I had to deal with my tailgate vent when putting on my tramp stamp. There is a part on the inside that snaps to the part on the outside. I took super glue and glued both pieces together making it one piece. Once you do that you can slide the vent in and it will snap into place. I am not sure if these two pieces are supposed to be one or not, but mine came apart. You might want to feel down inside your tailgate and see if the inside piece fell down inside the tailgate itself. Other than that you might have a top/roof leak on your jeep. Hope that helps some
Thanks for the info. I will check that out. It's definitely the vent as I've seen water inside the tailgate. Will take it apart tonight and look at it. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is common for the rubber flaps on the tailgate vent to dry out and rot off. You can buy the full piece from most Jeep parts stores. Just make sure you get the correct one for your year as newer ones have a horizontal vent instead of vertical.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Vent Question