Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TC seal leak. Need a little info.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC seal leak. Need a little info.

I've got a slow, weeping leak that appears to be coming from the seal between my TC and the trans. I'm gonna pull the TC out and take a look and re-seal everything. Question is, is it just RTV that seals the TC up or do I need to order a seal in advance? I have never done this before but I think it's fairly straight forward except the case is heavy. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine it's similar to the pinion seal. Might want to download the factory parts manual and have a look.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I pulled it out last night and the seals on the TC are just RTV. Of course the TC is sealed and we didn't even drain it, just turned it on its side cracked the cover and cleaned and replaced. Used ultra gray to re-seal. The top bolt on the passenger side is a biotch. 6 bolts and a few plugs and she was out. Pulled the front shaft but just bungeed the rear. Not a bad job but nice to have two guys.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't need any seal. The surfaces are machined. Really odd if it came that way from the factory...
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll run a bead of rtv to stave off water intrusion when submersed. Keeping water from between the casings also prevents it from entering the shaft seals which is the ultimate goal.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, there was definitely a thin bead of rtv there. I have read where both sides were machined and no seal present, but they must've started using rtv. It was definitely leaking too, albeit a very small weep. I probably could've just let it go but I'm OCD about that stuff. Hopefully the ultra gray will fix it.

Quick Reply: TC seal leak. Need a little info.