Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex BB and right pull. tried everything.help!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex BB and right pull. tried everything.help!

Here goes-
I have an 09 sahara unlimited
put toyo MTR 33's on before any lift and the truck drove straight
Installed TF BB with rear trackbar bracket and spidertrax 1.5 spacers and got rightsided pull. The steering wheel wasn't off after the lift so I didn't adjust that.

I picked through the install and found that I hadn't placed the bottoms of the front coils in the detents that keep them from spinning and that the right coil looked a little bowed. corrected the detent issue and the spring looks straight. still right pull

bought TF lower control arms and adjusted the passenger side a little longer (1/8") and still right pull.

bought JKS front track bar and centered front axle. still right pull.

Just got back from four wheel parts where they worked on it all morning trying to correct the right pull and couldn't. They looked over all of the install and didn't see anything bent. They adjusted the front track bar and set the lower control arms so that my caster is 4.9 driver and 5.2 passenger, messed with all the settings they could and still pulls right (to there credit they didn't charge me even though this was about 4 hours of labor).

I've also tried swapping the front tires and still right pull.

I've searched this and other forums and can't come up with anything else to try.

could I have bent by right front coil and this is the cause. I used the shock spacers, could a shock problem cause this (it rides great so I would be surprised).

any help would be appreciated, I'm at my wits end
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it a pull or a drift? In other words, when you let go of the wheel, does it immediately dart to the right or does it gently drift to that side?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's somewhere in between. It definitely doesnt jerk wildly to the right, but the drift is pretty pronounced. as i'm driving I have to exert constant left pressure on the steering wheel.

If I'm on a road with a left crown it will drift subtly to the left, but a flat road or one with a right crown and it's very pronounced.

So to answer you question, drift, but markedly so.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry. if it's a flat road or right crown there is a very pronounced drift to the RIGHT. much more than would normally be expected.

also. everything torqued to spec with jeep on the ground.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehudson
It's somewhere in between. It definitely doesnt jerk wildly to the right, but the drift is pretty pronounced. as i'm driving I have to exert constant left pressure on the steering wheel.

If I'm on a road with a left crown it will drift subtly to the left, but a flat road or one with a right crown and it's very pronounced.

So to answer you question, drift, but markedly so.
Then what I suspect has happened is that the Jeep had a very slight drift the whole time and it probably went unnoticed. As you lifted it, that amplified the problem. My suggestion would be to get it on an alignment machine. If you've had it on one, how about providing the specs? Perhaps that would help in an online diagnosis. If you've not had it on an alignment machine, by all means you need to do that before going any farther.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi

By all means RedneckJeep is right, It took me a few tries to find a alignment shop that knew what they were doing. Even if it was a 4X4 shop dont mean they know what they are doing. tricks of the trade
Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys. it was on the alignment rack today and the passenger caster was set to 5.2, the driver to 4.9. They tried extending out the passenger side even more, but still couldn't get it to drive straight.

I just got off the phone with a good guy at TeraFlex and he suggested loosening the bolts to all of the control arms and rocking the jeep around to release any binding, then torquing everything back down. I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikehudson
thanks guys. it was on the alignment rack today and the passenger caster was set to 5.2, the driver to 4.9. They tried extending out the passenger side even more, but still couldn't get it to drive straight.

I just got off the phone with a good guy at TeraFlex and he suggested loosening the bolts to all of the control arms and rocking the jeep around to release any binding, then torquing everything back down. I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow.
No problem! I hope that works. I am going to run your problem past my install and R&D guys also.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

Joes da man
Old 07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Joe I really appreciate your support and will continue to upgrade with your awesome products.

Quick Reply: Teraflex BB and right pull. tried everything.help!