Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex Control Arm stripped

Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joneszj
Wow. I am going to have to check all of mine. They seem to be fine thus far, had mine on for about 5K miles. wheeled it a bunch, too. Do the jam nuts just get loose over time or what?
Yeah they come loose just from the vibration of driving. I had one on my lower control that would back off about once a week no matter how hard I tightened it. I finally just put some red lock tite on it and it has been fine ever since.

Another option is to buy one of those ORE jam nuts.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

you should greese the threads, the rust probably does not help
Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

So the next question is what is going to happen when I drive home with only one upper rear control arm??
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Dal Bone
So the next question is what is going to happen when I drive home with only one upper rear control arm??
I'm not sure, but your axle probley is not sitting square in the wheel well. Which would not be good if your driving

Check both sides and see.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah they come loose just from the vibration of driving. I had one on my lower control that would back off about once a week no matter how hard I tightened it. I finally just put some red lock tite on it and it has been fine ever since.

Another option is to buy one of those ORE jam nuts.
So, how can I check if these are coming loose? Measure?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
I'm not sure, but your axle probley is not sitting square in the wheel well. Which would not be good if your driving

Check both sides and see.
Tire looks centered in the wheel well still. From what I understand the upper control arms main job is to set the pinion angle and control axle wrap. Pinion angle should not change because the other side is still in and I will not romp on the gas so i dont need to worry about wrap. As long as I drive relatively conservative there shouldnt be a problem.

Am I missing something?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

put your hand on the nut, and see if they are loose
Tire looks centered in the wheel well still. From what I understand the upper control arms main job is to set the pinion angle and control axle wrap. Pinion angle should not change because the other side is still in and I will not romp on the gas so i dont need to worry about wrap. As long as I drive relatively conservative there shouldnt be a problem.

Am I missing something?
hell, I'd drive it, but thats just me
Old 11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Stick a wrench on it and see how tight it is. Two of mine were loose enough that I could back them off by hand.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey I knew it was a dumb question when I asked it...should have put a disclaiemr with it I guess.

Too much turkey and booze for dinner.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

And I just watched the ORE video about the Linx lock jam nuts...dumb question, but once they are locked in place, it looks like you can get it loose by unscrewing the big bolt, once off, do you have to get new linx locks? It looked like the little screwy inserts had loctite on them and that you can't get them out once screwed in. I know nothing about the linx loxk jam nuts, so if someone could explain it, that would be a big help. I will check some other time when I am able to be coherent. haha, Happy Thanksgiving

Quick Reply: Teraflex Control Arm stripped