JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Teraflex Flexarm install questions (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/teraflex-flexarm-install-questions-171167/)

yajnhoj 03-30-2011 03:46 PM

Teraflex Flexarm install questions

I just got a set of front Teraflex Flexarm adj. LCAs in today. The instructions are a little unclear and leave me with a few questions. I have one side apart right now and both arms will go on that side with the sticker up and out depending which way you attach them. (yes, I am a bumbass)

1. Does the greaseable hiem joint attach to the frame or axle?

2. If it attaches to the axle, how will the grease zerg be protected? If I mount if up it looks like I would have a hard time getting a grease gun up in there. If I mount it down, it looks like it could get ripped off pretty easy if I landed or skidded it on something.

Thanks for any help.

Also, any pics would be a great help!

wazooz2424 03-30-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by yajnhoj (Post 2197218)
I just got a set of front Teraflex Flexarm adj. LCAs in today. The instructions are a little unclear and leave me with a few questions. I have one side apart right now and both arms will go on that side with the sticker up and out depending which way you attach them. (yes, I am a bumbass)

1. Does the greaseable hiem joint attach to the frame or axle?

2. If it attaches to the axle, how will the grease zerg be protected? If I mount if up it looks like I would have a hard time getting a grease gun up in there. If I mount it down, it looks like it could get ripped off pretty easy if I landed or skidded it on something.

Thanks for any help.

Also, any pics would be a great help!

The lowers go at the axle with the zerk up. The general consensus is to remove the zerk completely, as it is either not accessible or will snap off from hitting the bracket/axle. Get a plug for that hole. When you need to grease, put a zerk in the bottom, grease, remove the zerk and then put the plug in again.

yajnhoj 03-30-2011 05:27 PM

Thanks you for your help. I have them in now and taking a break before I torque them. I installed them at 23" in length. I will see what that gets me on the rack tommorrow. I am still just hoping that this will make a big improvment and help the handling get back to near stock. From what I can tell I have added about 1.5 degrees (At about 3.5 degrees now) of postive caster back in already. Will let the shop fine tune it.

Thanks!

Mcflurry301 04-02-2011 06:14 PM

Hey I am putting these on t/m morning. When you say 23", where are you measuring. This is not my line of work, I got go the the engine all day and be good but this is alien to me. Any help on how you did this for install and alignment would be awesome!!

PainKiller 04-02-2011 07:13 PM

here is a write up
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...x+control+arms

wazooz2424 04-03-2011 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mcflurry301 (Post 2205409)
Hey I am putting these on t/m morning. When you say 23", where are you measuring. This is not my line of work, I got go the the engine all day and be good but this is alien to me. Any help on how you did this for install and alignment would be awesome!!

center of eye to center of eye.

NickJK 04-03-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by yajnhoj
Thanks you for your help. I have them in now and taking a break before I torque them. I installed them at 23" in length. I will see what that gets me on the rack tommorrow. I am still just hoping that this will make a big improvment and help the handling get back to near stock. From what I can tell I have added about 1.5 degrees (At about 3.5 degrees now) of postive caster back in already. Will let the shop fine tune it.

Thanks!

Stock caster is 4.2 on the JK, so a 3.5 doesn't even get you back there. I'm running 35's and didn't see handling improvement until 7 degrees.

rinkishJK 04-04-2011 06:12 AM

my front lowers are at 24" eye to eye.. i ran them at 23 eye to eye before recently getting all 8 flex arms. my caster with an angle finder was about 6.. had an alignment done on a machine last week and front caster was 5.5 on both sides..my jeep drives awesome with those settings..hope this helps.oh and as far as orientation of the arms.. front lowers have the TERAFLEX stickers face out, and the grease fitting is UP...

Marshall 04-04-2011 07:54 AM

As you set your castor, dont forget about your driveline angle. You will see in the FAQ, that 6-8 degrees of positive castor will be a good range. Mine is set at 6, with my LCA's at 23 driver, 23 1/8 passenger.