Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teraflex leveling kit install question (coil kit)

Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex leveling kit install question (coil kit)

I'm on my phone, no internet at parents so I can't search well.

The new longer front swaybar links, the bolt is bigger than the stock one. Am I supposed to drill out the swaybar to 1/2 inch? The directions don't mention this, but I don't see any other way. Also should I replace the lower bolt? I'm assuming the teraflex link has a 1/2 inch hole, but the stock bolt is like 12mm.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hole being slightly smaller in the sway bar is something I heard about one other time just recently. In that case, the sway bar hole was opened up *slightly* with a dremel, the difference is pretty small apparently. I don't know why some seem to have that issue and not others. I'll be asking the guys at Tera about that the next time I talk to them.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have my calipers, but I'm guessing stock is 12mm and teraflex is 1/2in. Just enough difference to make it not fit. I'll change out the lower bolt later.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

My swaybar links that came with my Tereaflex leveling kit were 4" longer than the stock ones. I called. and asked..to no avail. Someone actually told me to switch the backs to the front and the new ones to the back. I ended up tossing them to the bottome of my tool box where they lay. I used to orig ones for a year before I put on the JKS quick disco....that are adjustable to the height you need. Sometimes I wonder about these aftermarket gadgets. Never assume they gave you the right stuff.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

On most of the Teraflex kits beyond the "leveling kits", the supplied new end links are for the rear, then you move the old rears to the front. Sounds odd, but it works out perfectly.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought of that, the new links were the same length as the rears. So it would have been a lot of wasted work. I ended up running a 1/2 drill bit through the holes. Much harder than it sounds. Took like 3 drill bits, a file, and lots of cursing. They really need to give people a heads up or use the proper size bolt.

I've been beaten by teraflex and aev today. Working on this jeep is an adventure. Its really my fault for assuming things would go smoothly and that the "kit" actually included all the parts and proper instructions.

I'll regroup and try again later, good thing I have another vehicle. Springs are in, jeep 1 inch higher. Aev front bumper and winch on, but I have to take it back off to get it set up right.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

My TF leveling kit came with two different links. Could not figure out what so I called quadratec were I got them. Apparently they were the wrong ones so they sent me two new ones that were totally different. Mistakes happen maybe they are wrong. I do love my leveling kit thou.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

It's my opinion that almost all the manufacturers of off road products could have better instructions. I can't remember the last "good" instructions I saw.
That metal is HARD. A good quality unibit would probably work well. Working on any Jeep never, ever seems to go as planned. The older the model, the more unforeseen fun you'll have.

Originally Posted by Rubi_Chill
I thought of that, the new links were the same length as the rears. So it would have been a lot of wasted work. I ended up running a 1/2 drill bit through the holes. Much harder than it sounds. Took like 3 drill bits, a file, and lots of cursing. They really need to give people a heads up or use the proper size bolt.

I've been beaten by teraflex and aev today. Working on this jeep is an adventure. Its really my fault for assuming things would go smoothly and that the "kit" actually included all the parts and proper instructions.

I'll regroup and try again later, good thing I have another vehicle. Springs are in, jeep 1 inch higher. Aev front bumper and winch on, but I have to take it back off to get it set up right.

Quick Reply: Teraflex leveling kit install question (coil kit)