Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TeraFlex Shocks 2D vs. 4D

Old 12-31-2021, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TeraFlex Shocks 2D vs. 4D

So I messed up an order and have shocks for my two door Wrangler coming that are suppose to be for a four door. I realized my mistake right away, but Amazon was too fast for me and didn't accept my cancellation. I did order the 2D version planning to just return the others when they get here. I contacted TeraFlex to ask about the difference and they said, "4dr shocks are tuned differently and will ride extremely stiff and hard on a 2dr, I would not recommend running them on your 2dr." That got me thinking (dangerous, I know). The reason for this must be the additional weight of the 4D. Most of my miles are spent pulling a small travel trailer with light off roading once at a destination. I wondering if the stiffer ride could be a handling advantage for towing with a weight that may comes close to the combined rating (GCWR)? Anyone with experience or thoughts on this?
Old 01-02-2022, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,608 Posts

This kind of reminds me of folks that say they are building for 80% on road and 20% off road, until someone comments "it must be nice to go wheeling 6 days every month". I would stick with 2dr springs for your situation. I believe you will do more driving without something behind you, and that is what you should build for. If you need anything additional in regard to support towing a trailer, then air bags are cheap.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
This kind of reminds me of folks that say they are building for 80% on road and 20% off road, until someone comments "it must be nice to go wheeling 6 days every month". I would stick with 2dr springs for your situation. I believe you will do more driving without something behind you, and that is what you should build for. If you need anything additional in regard to support towing a trailer, then air bags are cheap.
I have seen that before. IF you ordered from amazon you can simply return them for any reason.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I believe you will do more driving without something behind you, and that is what you should build for.
In most peoples situation this is probably true, but in the beginning of Marchwe'll be leaving on a 49 state, year long road trip pulling the trailer. Even so, it's hard (for me) to know which shock will give the best all around performance. Air bags are a good suggestion. I've asked TeraFlex if the SumoSprings that I'm now using in the rear will work with their kit, but have not heard back from them. Do you think they'd be compatible? Either way, as @TheDirtman said, the Amazon purchases are easy enough to return. Thanks for you help.

Last edited by AnOldUR; 01-03-2022 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex Shocks 2D vs. 4D