Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex track bar woes

Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex track bar woes

I was about half way home from work today when I started getting the worst death wobble I've ever had in any vehicle. I was going about 30 mph and hit a bump, not a big bump, I hit the thing almost every day and this has never happened. I pulled over and started checking out the track bar since I've had trouble in the past with the track bar hardware coming loose. I couldnt find anything wrong. The trackbar was tight and I could see nothing else wrong. I limped it home and then to my parents place so I could check it out in a heated garage. I grabbed and shook everything and it was all tight. I then started taking a closer look at the track bar. I noticed that all the way long the bend there was a hairline crack in the paint. At this point I called my dad in to have him turn the wheels while I looked underneath. As they were turning, I saw that the track bar bushings had alot of play in them and the track bar itself was flexing ALOT! Seemed like it was mostly around that bend where the crack is. I even scraped off the paint to see if it went deeper and sure enough, the crack appears to be in the metal. My lift was dealer installed so I'm going to them first, luckly the shop manager is in our club so I'm confident he'll help me out. If it is indeed cracked, I'm thinking about alerting Teraflex as well. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the death wobble at 40mph too, but I had it before going to the Teraflex bar. I just replaced the bushings in the ends of the bar in hopes of helping it, but the wobble is still there at a constant 40 mph. It isn't a problem above or below that speed. I am going to try to have the tires balanced on a road force balancing machine tomorrow to see if it is improved. I will keep you posted. Can you post some pics of the crack? I noticed what appears to be a scratch there on mine, but no cracks. What size tires are you running?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

All i have is a crappy phone pic. Will try again with a real camera tomorrow. I'm running 35's but it happened so sudden I'm sure its not the tires.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First, I'm glad to hear you're okay and nobody got hurt. 2nd, please keep us up to date with what happens with your dealership. 3rd, if you need some help with TeraFlex, let me know and I will give them a ring
Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, please send us pics of that!! I would like to get that replaced ASAP for you!! Please PM me your name/address and I'll get one coming.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Please, please send us pics of that!! I would like to get that replaced ASAP for you!! Please PM me your name/address and I'll get one coming.
That speaks volumes responding this quick and this positive.....You have earned my business in the future with this post alone.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaltChief
That speaks volumes responding this quick and this positive.....You have earned my business in the future with this post alone.
Thanks! Sorry I didn't see this post yesterday, had a serious case of jetlag.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Wow, here I thought I was going to get left high and dry in this situation. I actually took it to my dealership who installed the lift and reassured me that the lift was also going to be covered under the vehicle warranty when I bought it. I had the feeling that I was going to get hosed driving there this afternoon though. I called the shop manager on my lunch break and he told me to come right in once I got off. I was hoping I'd be dealing directly with him, he's also a JK owner and in the same club as me. I think even before I got there he had made the decision that it was going to be replaced under warranty . We stood around and BS'ed about jeeps and wheeling and what not. He told me he knows that I wheel it but that wasnt a problem!!! Can you believe it? Have I struck gold or what?? While we were kneeling on the service drive floor he also noticed that the steering stabilizer was leaking and offered to have it warrantied out. I told him that I knew about it but I was going to get a superlift stabilizer since the original is pretty much useless ( I know WOL is saying just remove it all together ) He then offered me this; He would warranty it out, replace it with an original, and then order me the superlift one from quadratec and then just give me that as a warranty as well!!!

How does this happen???? What cosmic time warp have I fallen into? I'm probably going to buy a lottery ticket tonight, jeez I've gotten this lucky today, better use it as much as I can.

The only downer is that they gave me an 08 avenger loaner, but it was free so I couldnt complain. Needless to say I'm still blown away. I've never, never had this kind of luck at anything. Especially at a dealership. And then to get a message from teraflex themselves, very willing to help obviously, this has been a great day! The service manager is going to give me the old track bar so as soon as I get it, I'll disect the thing and see whats up.
Hats off to Stew Hansen Dodge and Jeep and Teraflex!!

Last edited by jeepinjason51; 12-18-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does it...I'm moving to Iowa. Where exactly IS Iowa? All I accomplished today was getting rejected at all the local tire shops. Nobody even acknowledged that a 37" tire would fit on their machine. I know that they actually WILL, but figured that if they didn't want to work on my Jeep, that I actually didn't want them messing with it anyway. I guess I will be driving 30 miles to my buddy's shop and buying a box of weights.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
That does it...I'm moving to Iowa. Where exactly IS Iowa? All I accomplished today was getting rejected at all the local tire shops. Nobody even acknowledged that a 37" tire would fit on their machine. I know that they actually WILL, but figured that if they didn't want to work on my Jeep, that I actually didn't want them messing with it anyway. I guess I will be driving 30 miles to my buddy's shop and buying a box of weights.
That stinks. We have a place here in Des Moines that has the stuff to align lifted trucks and jeeps with wider tires and balance up to 40" tires.

BTW- 30 miles is considered a drive to the neighbors place here.

Quick Reply: Teraflex track bar woes