Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To those with the Or-Fab tire carrier

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nclehmann
I am looking at buying one of these once I get my lift and 35s in May. The problem I have with this carrier is how the spare tire is mounted to it. From the pictures I've seen, it has a bolt or rod that goes through the center of the spare wheel and then is secured with a plate and screwed down.

I have a bike rack that needs the 5x5 bolt pattern mounting plate on the spare carrier to work. It sticks out through the center of the spare and is secured with a bolt.

Is there a way to weld a 5x5 plate with 3 studs to resemble the same mounting bracket as the stock carrier? I'm not sure what the Or-Fab carrier mounting point looks like without the spare mounted. I'm also not sure whether there is sufficient metal to weld a plate to if it's just a rod that sticks out.

Does anyone have pics or has anyone done this? If it's possible, is there a 5x5 plate that would work? I thought of a wheel spacer, but those are aluminum. Can aluminum be welded to the steel frame of the carrier?

Thanks.
I have the adapter in order to mount my stock rubicon rim. I am sending you a picture.

JKM

Last edited by JKMoses; 02-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click free

Old 02-27-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Serveapurpose

JKM
Old 02-28-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

That's exactly what I need! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
Click free

What finish do you have on the rack? The bicycle black or the wrinkle black.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

That's the wrinkle black. Bicycle black is shiny.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
The Hanson one transfers the weight. With the stock carrier all the weight is leveraged away from the hinge and will cause droop in the gate. The Hanson one distributes the weight evenly and allows the weight to be on the hinge where the support should be. It is all about leverage. The Hanson is a dramatic upgrade, but not as good as a bumper carrier or even the Or Fab for taking the weight off of the gate.
Actually, that is not correct. The stock gate distributes the load to 4 points... the two hinges, the locking mechanism (latch), and the reinforcement block under the latch. The Hanson solution transfers all of the load on the hinges, which in fact will increase the chances of droop.

Quick Reply: To those with the Or-Fab tire carrier