Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER666
Installed mine. took about 11 hours but I was by myself. Things that helped me were buying a pitman arm puller from auto zone for 15 bucks. Also make sure the arm puller is centered on the bolt, I didn't have mine centered at first and warped some of the threads to where I had to file everything so I could get the nut back on!!! WHEW!!

Directions need better descriptions of what bolts to use for what. Kinda like a life size sizing pic so you can make sure you have the right one.

I couldn't use the front brakeline bracket so I'll have to just extend my brakelines

The worst problem was the front shocks. I put the top of the shock through the hole and tried screwing the nut on but the whole piston twisted with it.

Once finished my ESP lights went nuts but was easily fixed by re-centering my steering wheel. Now it rides great!!!!!

I was supposed to pick up my Mickey thompson baja MTZ's today but the auto store screwed up so now I have to ride around for another week with a 3.5 inch lift and stock 225 tires.... It looks ridiculous!!!!
I did tell one of the Rough Country guys on here that their directions really need some help. Some steps were missing. Overall the pictures were lacking, especially for the rear. The tools needed list was incomplete. I didn't get a response. I noticed a newer version was just posted on their website but it's still in need of major updating.
I didn't use the front brakeline brackets either. I didn't need them and I wasn't about to start pulling and bending lines just to use the bracket. Maybe under full extension I'll need to do something?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ruppster
I did tell one of the Rough Country guys on here that their directions really need some help. Some steps were missing. Overall the pictures were lacking, especially for the rear. The tools needed list was incomplete. I didn't get a response. I noticed a newer version was just posted on their website but it's still in need of major updating.
I didn't use the front brakeline brackets either. I didn't need them and I wasn't about to start pulling and bending lines just to use the bracket. Maybe under full extension I'll need to do something?
Yeah, I was thinking about the same thing with the full extension. I had mine on a lift so it could fully extend and the brakelines were definatley "tight" I'll probably just replace with longer brakeline hose but it's good for now. I don't think I'll be fully extended very much with the type of off roading I do.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matador
Installed my lift last night....took a hell of a lot longer than I thought....that damn pitman arm was a PITA!!....stupid stock shocks just broke off.

Attachment 86551
I wanted this lift and was worried that my 275, 70s would not be enough tire and make it look funny but I think it looks great with your tires.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have a pic of this with stock rubi wheels and tires... I have been thinking about it, but don't have money for new rubber yet...
Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is great that a suspension company is making a lift kit for $500 that gives that much lift, but if you think a $500 lift kit compares to a $1500 suspension system.... I think you are kidding yourself. Nothing against this lift at all. If you saw my skidplate you would know that lowering it any is not an option. The whole point of larger tires is more clearance. I don't see how a lift at that height does not require new shafts on a 2 door as all other lifts at that height do. Unless articulation is limited significantly? I am not bashing this kit at all. I think it is very complete for $500. I am just saying that if you think $500 kit will preform like a $1500 kit you are going to be disappointed offroad.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ruppster
You really need to install the extensions if you ever plan on discoing the front, or either just get new longer brakelines. Also, you should make sure you pull some slack for your abs lines.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I think it is great that a suspension company is making a lift kit for $500 that gives that much lift, but if you think a $500 lift kit compares to a $1500 suspension system.... I think you are kidding yourself. Nothing against this lift at all. If you saw my skidplate you would know that lowering it any is not an option. The whole point of larger tires is more clearance. I don't see how a lift at that height does not require new shafts on a 2 door as all other lifts at that height do. Unless articulation is limited significantly? I am not bashing this kit at all. I think it is very complete for $500. I am just saying that if you think $500 kit will preform like a $1500 kit you are going to be disappointed offroad.

I don't think anybody is comparing it to a $1500 kit. I would hope for $1500 you'd be getting at least one adjustable track bar, upper and lower ca's etc. However, for the included hardware, I don't think youll find another $500 kit that compares to it.

Unless you plan on doing some extreme articulation or altering the lift height in the future, all the adjustability that warrants the higher price tag seems wasted to me.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKMudder
I don't think anybody is comparing it to a $1500 kit. I would hope for $1500 you'd be getting at least one adjustable track bar, upper and lower ca's etc. However, for the included hardware, I don't think youll find another $500 kit that compares to it.

Unless you plan on doing some extreme articulation or altering the lift height in the future, all the adjustability that warrants the higher price tag seems wasted to me.
did you read the original post?

The local shop that lifts all the jeeps for local dealers said my Jeep was the best driving one he had been in. I don't have a long arm or anything, just adjustable control arms that allow the jeep to be in perfect alignment. No one here wants to spend the cash on adjustable arms, so they all just drive ok. My lift was about $1500 and I don't think a $500 lift could ride or flex like it. BUT I do think for $500 that kit has a lot, and it coming with arms instead of cam bolts in that rice range is awesome. I just didnt want someone to read the first page and think a $500 kit would work like a $1500 kit. Just like my $1500 kit wont work like a $3000 long arm. This is my $1500 kit almost flexed as far as it will go in the front for comparison.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 09-07-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
did you read the original post?

The local shop that lifts all the jeeps for local dealers said my Jeep was the best driving one he had been in. I don't have a long arm or anything, just adjustable control arms that allow the jeep to be in perfect alignment. No one here wants to spend the cash on adjustable arms, so they all just drive ok. My lift was about $1500 and I don't think a $500 lift could ride or flex like it. BUT I do think for $500 that kit has a lot, and it coming with arms instead of cam bolts in that rice range is awesome. I just didnt want someone to read the first page and think a $500 kit would work like a $1500 kit. Just like my $1500 kit wont work like a $3000 long arm. This is my $1500 kit almost flexed as far as it will go in the front for comparison.

Ah, I thought we had already kinda addressed that earlier in the thread, my bad.

You get what you pay for in most instances, but there are the best in different levels, and depending on how this one holds up over time, it would have to be pretty nice for the price. I guess its all dependent on your expectations.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Yep....if I could afford a $1500 lift I would have bought one....I wanted additional clearance and for the money I dont think you can beat this kit. it drives awesome so far and I'll tell you how it performs after the end of the month.....I'll be going to Rocktoberfest up here....2 days of trails....I'll let you konw how it performs......I did amazing just running a leveling kit and discos so looking forward to it after this lift!

Here are some more pics of the lift

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00178-20100908-1405..jpg
Views:	406
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	87660Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00179-20100908-1405..jpg
Views:	448
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	87661Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00180-20100908-1405..jpg
Views:	455
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	87662Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00177-20100908-1405..jpg
Views:	557
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	87663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00181-20100908-1406..jpg
Views:	470
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	87664

Last edited by Matador; 09-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new Rough Country 3.5 lift.