JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Thoughts on shimmy (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/thoughts-shimmy-333460/)

phljeeper 05-03-2016 07:50 PM

Thoughts on shimmy

I have a 2015 two door with 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel with 35" trail grapplers. Rides great at city speeds and on the highway up to about 65. At 70 I get a shimmy. It feels like a tire balance issue but I have just had them re balanced and all good. Thoughts on what to check next?

sa29560 05-03-2016 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by phljeeper (Post 4213698)
I have a 2015 two door with 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel with 35" trail grapplers. Rides great at city speeds and on the highway up to about 65. At 70 I get a shimmy. It feels like a tire balance issue but I have just had them re balanced and all good. Thoughts on what to check next?

Work your way up. Check ball joints, tie rod ends, and drag link ends, track bar at frame and axle, play in unit bearings, bad u joints, torque on all bolts in control arms.

You running stock drive shaft?

Biginboca 05-04-2016 12:59 AM

Swap your front and rear tires. If the shimmy changes then you know it's the wheels/tires. If it doesn't you need to look at driveline and steering.

In my experience any speed sensitive shimmy or wobble has always been a tire/wheel issue

nthinuf 05-04-2016 01:36 AM

Go up to the JK Write-Ups area. There is a diagnosis thread by Planman stuck right to the top...

kjeeper10 05-04-2016 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Biginboca (Post 4213725)
Swap your front and rear tires. If the shimmy changes then you know it's the wheels/tires. If it doesn't you need to look at driveline and steering. In my experience any speed sensitive shimmy or wobble has always been a tire/wheel issue

X2 (10 char)

phljeeper 05-04-2016 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 4213734)
X2 (10 char)

Thanks guys. I know the planman writeup on wobbles. I have checked everything and all tight and good. The jeep only has 8k miles. I will try tires again.

Smudgeontheglass 05-04-2016 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by phljeeper (Post 4213698)

I have a 2012 two door with a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift with 35" trail grapplers. I didn't have castor correction when I first lifted the Jeep but it drove perfectly fine with the stock BFG KOs. When I upgraded to a used set of the Nittos it had a very noticable wobble at around 70-80km/h. I upgraded my track bars to Adjustable JKS track bars and that helped a lot with the "flighty" steering feeling but I still had the same wobble. I did a 5 tire rotation and had no change in the wobble at that speed.

This spring I got gussets and a truss installed and to save some cash on the alignment I got some RE Geometry correction brackets. That moved my castor back to the 5-6 range and corrected the wobble problem completely.

I will eventually get better control arms but for now the brackets help a lot.

phljeeper 05-04-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass (Post 4213890)
I have a 2012 two door with a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift with 35" trail grapplers. I didn't have castor correction when I first lifted the Jeep but it drove perfectly fine with the stock BFG KOs. When I upgraded to a used set of the Nittos it had a very noticable wobble at around 70-80km/h. I upgraded my track bars to Adjustable JKS track bars and that helped a lot with the "flighty" steering feeling but I still had the same wobble. I did a 5 tire rotation and had no change in the wobble at that speed. This spring I got gussets and a truss installed and to save some cash on the alignment I got some RE Geometry correction brackets. That moved my castor back to the 5-6 range and corrected the wobble problem completely. I will eventually get better control arms but for now the brackets help a lot.

Thanks. I do have a full set of Rock Krawler control arms and have the caster dialed in to about 6. I hope to try rotating and see if that helps. The tires have about 6k on them and have been rotated once.