Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Throttle body upgrade

Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Throttle body upgrade

ok so I was a idiot and tightened the bolts on my throttle body after a cleaning too tight and vuola cracked it ugh! So now that I have to get a new one I’m wondering what is the best one to get for upgrade. And no I don’t want to do the viper one I don’t want to code chase
Old 03-28-2018, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Just get an OEM replacement. Just my opinion, but these 'upgraded' TBs really don't result in any real performance increase unless you're going to upgrade the entire air intake system to pass more air. Then you'll need to upgrade the fuel injectors so that you can take advantage of the more air.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks man will do. Know any good places to strike a good cost on one?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Rock Auto has them from $132 to $212.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can search eBay for a used one. I thought the stock ones had a metal sleeve within the holes to prevent crushing.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You can search eBay for a used one. I thought the stock ones had a metal sleeve within the holes to prevent crushing.
not to sure but here is what I’m looking at ,thoughts?

Crack running down center to bottom right

Last edited by jjl509@yahoo.com; 03-28-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Update pic
Old 03-28-2018, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are used ones pretty reliable? Does it matter how many miles on them? I do see some good deals on some but most I’m finding are pulled from dodge caravans, yuk, or are they the same?

Last edited by jjl509@yahoo.com; 03-28-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, you're correct- she's definitely cracked. The location of the crack looks like it wasn't seated all the way when you started tightening it, but that's not important now.

For now, I'd pull it off and epoxy the outside of it. If you decide that you want a used one then maybe the better way to go would be through one of the LS/ Hemi/ Diesel conversion shops that may have an extra lying around. I can't speak to the reliability on an ebay one because I've not bought one there for the JK. The JK has all of the computer controlled crap and sensors inside of the throttle body so it's tough to see if everything is ok (sensor wise) without plugging it in. I will say though, I'm yet to hear of folks replacing these at a particular mileage. I've got 180k on mine with some rougher cleanings and it doesn't miss a beat.

If I were in your shoes, I'd clean up the crack, epoxy it, and reinstall. Go take a test drive and in the meantime, find an ebay seller with a warranty on a used TB. LKQ.com and Car-part.com are also other alternatives that may have it for a lower price or in your area (or both). I've bought from Car-part.com before and you end up dealing with the salvage yards. I connected with a phenomenal yard that was willing to work with me on the parts and they were open to negotiating the prices as well. Additionally- they offered a warranty on the parts.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was thinking the same with epoxy picked up some jb to temporary fill in the gap. Thanks for the info on sources for the tb. The dealership quoted me 349$ for it and gasket. Fml.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so today Code P2173 popped up. Can this be the crack in the TB?or is it something else

Quick Reply: Throttle body upgrade