Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response

Old 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle response

This is not about how to get rid of the lag when hitting the throttle, but the one when you let go off it. I have a JKUR auto and when crawling in 4low it's very hard to control the speed with the throttle. On my previous rigs with cable throttle, as soon as I let go off the throttle, it would almost stop. With the JKUR, when I let go off the throttle, RPMs won't go down for a second or so and then start going down really slow. This makes the Jeep keep moving forward more that I want it to, even if I slam the brakes. There have been a few instances when I have almost rolled over because I had to give it some gas and when the spotter tells me to stop, the jeep keeps driving forward. I'm thinking on keeping one hand on the shifter and quickly shift into neutral next time I'm in such situation, but it would be great if the RPMs would go down as fast as with a cable throttle, that would make rock crawling a lot more fun. So, my question is, does anybody know of a programmer that not only improves throttle response when you hit the throttle, but also when you let go of it?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest complaint about my jkur.... Can't stand it, I have a manual and if I step on the clutch in 4low the rpms hang for 5-10 seconds..... Hate it.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

The crawl mode works pretty well from Flashpaq
Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
My bully dog has an off-road tune, but it doesn't fix this issue. Need to find someone nearby with a flashpag to test it. Thx.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by familytime
Agree flashpaq crawl mode is pretty slick
Old 10-11-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

More control with the brake pedal will fix it. In 4lo the vehicle should move if the clutch is out and the gas pedal isn't being touched. When you let off the gas the vehicle wont stop immediately and with the gears it'll keep momentum a bit longer than just putting the clutch in. Sounds like how a normal drivetrain works.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Superchips Flashpaq solved this for me. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for 30 years, so I tend to downshift and expect the engine to respond accordingly. Before the flashpaq, I would downshift and let out the gas, and it felt like it was just running on without me. Now the downshifting works as expected. It's in the throttle mapping I think. I read somewhere that the engineers had programmed in the slower throttle response, both accel and decel, in order to save stress on the drive train. Not sure if that is true, but I am much happier now.

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Superchips Flashpaq solved this for me. I've been driving manual transmission vehicles for 30 years, so I tend to downshift and expect the engine to respond accordingly. Before the flashpaq, I would downshift and let out the gas, and it felt like it was just running on without me. Now the downshifting works as expected. It's in the throttle mapping I think. I read somewhere that the engineers had programmed in the slower throttle response, both accel and decel, in order to save stress on the drive train. Not sure if that is true, but I am much happier now.
That's good to know I am getting a flashpaq and want it to fix that! The lack of throttle response makes it so hard to rev match when down shifting. In my si and mustang I would heel toe with ease, but it's so hard to blip the gas with the jk
Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Deleted .....

Last edited by kjeeper10; 10-11-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Can somebody explain the crawl tune ?

I wouldn't say its jerky but with my manual there's a lot of play in the driveline unless I keep on the break lightly.

Quick Reply: Throttle response