Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Down Rails

Old 06-27-2018, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tie Down Rails

I have a 2-Door JK, I pulled the back seat out the day I brought it home. I'm looking to strap down camp gear. Right now I'm using a gladiator cargo net that I originally bought for the roof rack, but there just isn't a good way to strap things down in the back that I have found.

Has anyone installed tie down rails like these in the back?
Angled L Track - Angled sides for less obstruction
Old 06-28-2018, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

GenRight came out with some a while back -

https://genright.com/products/jeep-j...em-4-door.html

Think that is kinda the same thing you're looking at. If you're...."thrifty"....you could easily make something out of simple flatstock from HD or lowes, drilling a couple holes to bolt down using hardtop bolts, and then few holes for anchor points. Prime/paint, good to go, maybe $15 all in.
The following users liked this post:
itsbobbyagain (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought these from Amazon for 10 bucks and installed them under the hard top attachment bolts. I added fender washers at the same time to help spread the load. Total cost about 12 bucks. Total time 20 minutes. Works great and I've got a couple of spares.
Bestong 8-Pack Black Tie-down D-rings Cargo Trailer Mount for Jeep Wrangler (8pcs D-ring)

Old 06-28-2018, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Much appreciated, sometimes it just takes seeing what others have done.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Since you don't use the rear seat at all, have you considered building some sort of trunk or drawer/bins back there? I built a trunk several years ago.....it stores all of my tools when off-roading. It's raised about 5.5" off the floor and has a lot of capacity. Then, since I have a 4dr, I made a top portion that folds over towards the front and provides me a flat sleeping surface. The problem I see with using the cargo rails for tie down points is mainly the height. Not sure what you're strapping to em, but quite different than strapping something to the floor. Building something would provide convenient storage underneath, and raise the floor a bit....making those cargo rails more useful as tie down points, or allowing you to add several new tie down points on the new floor (the raised structure).

Just food for thought. You don't have a ton of space to work with, so maximizing every little bit helps.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another option
Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Since you don't use the rear seat at all, have you considered building some sort of trunk or drawer/bins back there? I built a trunk several years ago.....it stores all of my tools when off-roading. It's raised about 5.5" off the floor and has a lot of capacity. Then, since I have a 4dr, I made a top portion that folds over towards the front and provides me a flat sleeping surface. The problem I see with using the cargo rails for tie down points is mainly the height. Not sure what you're strapping to em, but quite different than strapping something to the floor. Building something would provide convenient storage underneath, and raise the floor a bit....making those cargo rails more useful as tie down points, or allowing you to add several new tie down points on the new floor (the raised structure).

Just food for thought. You don't have a ton of space to work with, so maximizing every little bit helps.
You nailed it, I'm trying to maximize what little space I have to work with. I've seen the drawer systems online, they are starting to be a little more affordable to buy. I never really considered building them myself, not a bad idea.

My camp gear consists of 3 Rigid tool boxes and a giant cooler (70L Coleman). The Rigid boxes are great for rugged storage. They are fairly waterproof and have a dust seal. They can be stacked and have nice tie down options. I was hoping to either strap that stuff to the existing tie downs or to the floor with rails using motorcycle tie downs. I tend to camp near off road trails. Just trying to keep all that stuff from killing me if I turn the jeep over

I have a great cargo net, just not much to clip it to back there, but maybe a false floor or even some drawers would give me some options. Thanks for the ideas!
Matthewd5 (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Tie Down Rails