Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Rod and Drag Link ---- help?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ruff stuff and off road designs are the same way. Call them and they can build you anything. I forgot about Blue Torch Fab. I have ordered amsome gussets from them before.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was all set to go with ruff stuff as I don't mind welding - especially if it saves me money. Then I read quite a few reports of folks bending them and hearing using DOM isn't the best use for a tiered.

I don't know - I guess Dom is more prone to bending than chromoly? Especially if you plan on going hydro assist in the future?

I'm sure someone with more metallurgical knowledge can clarify.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
I was all set to go with ruff stuff as I don't mind welding - especially if it saves me money. Then I read quite a few reports of folks bending them and hearing using DOM isn't the best use for a tiered. I don't know - I guess Dom is more prone to bending than chromoly? Especially if you plan on going hydro assist in the future? I'm sure someone with more metallurgical knowledge can clarify.
The guy I bought my tires from here in Connecticut. He was on this forum too. He had a bent Ruff stuff tie rod in his garage. I remember asking about it lol I believe he was selling its replacement Carolina metal Masters.

I wonder what material MC was using when that members Hydro bent their tie rod ?

Last edited by kjeeper10; 06-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you know if you need a flip drag link or replacement drag link?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EHarris
How do you know if you need a flip drag link or replacement drag link?
Flipping the drag link and raising the track bar axle mount corrects steering geometry. The ideal situation is having the TB and DL parallel or as close to parallel as possible. It helps correct flighty steering at higher lift heights.

It becomes personal preference for everyone, but at larger lifts can be seen as more "necessary". The same lifts are slightly different on every jeep and some might think they need it, while others don't. Its more for steering comfort and some correction to factory geometry.

You do have to run more bump stop, looking some up travel. I believe it's a 3" minimum, but depending on lift height, tire size, and fender clearance you could already be running that. But some people don't want to lose the up travel and the geometry is a trade off.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's even a cheaper way from RuffStuff. Order the offset fm 1 ton rod ends and buy DOM locally. Loads cheaper that way.
I hate the stereotypical jk owner mentality, paying 4x as much as needed.

Reaming th knuckle really isn't that big of a deal.

When it comes time for new control arms I'll be building mine. I like knowing the quality of the parts in my jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Tie Rod and Drag Link ---- help?