Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod / drag link play

Old 07-29-2017, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tie rod / drag link play

Just spot checking suspension after getting back from a wheeling trip. I noticed some movement in steering wheel when driving over small bumps on street at around 30mph. I think it may be tire pressure but want to ask one (possibly stupid) question.

Should the tie rod and drag link have 1" or so play? Or should they be solid and not move at all? If I hold the tire rod I can twist it about 1/2 inch and the drag link moves about 1-2 inches.

Please confirm this is normal?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define play? Rotate forward/back yes.
Have someone turn the steering wheel side to side (9-3)
Look for the rod ends to move up and down. Any more than a small amount they are worn.
Drag link to knuckle in my experience is the first to go, followed by tie rod ends and pitman joint.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, grabbing the tie rod I can turn it about 1/2 inch. However the drag link when I grab it will move about an inch up and down. So just validating this is normal

I moved steering and don't have too much play, if any. I lowered the psi in tires and it's better on the bumps, but still want to make sure if I need to replace tie rod or other bushings
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This doesn't sound right... Are you checking solo? Or with an assistant moving the wheel side to side while you look at components?? Rolling on its Axis is OK "sliding" is not if that makes sense. Can you capture a video? That might help us help you
Old 07-29-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

rotational up and down is ok. but movement at the knuckles up and down isnt good. neither is movement laterally. those are signs of a worn end. i just went through all of this haha.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

also check that trackbar and all bolts associated with it
Old 04-02-2020, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tie rod help

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
This doesn't sound right... Are you checking solo? Or with an assistant moving the wheel side to side while you look at components?? Rolling on its Axis is OK "sliding" is not if that makes sense. Can you capture a video? That might help us help you
Need second opinion on some upper tire rod movement on right wheel. I made a video and slowed it down. I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if my video will post or not.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
8 spd40 2 avi.avi (3.16 MB, 431 views)

Quick Reply: Tie rod / drag link play