Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tie rod leans forward always

Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod leans forward always

Hey all,

My Stock Tie Rod leans forward all the time. And I noticed it only because I have recently installed the Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizers. During install I followed the instructions on Project-JK.com write up along with the instructions that came with the kit. Everything was installed level, however, my tie rod and steering stabilizers are always leaning forward. I thought it might be because I didnt install the stabilizers brackets level... so I rotated them up just a bit to see if that would balance it out and it doesnt. My tie rod is always leaning like a cholo . Is this normal or bad news? Thanks in advanced! Pics Below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Rod Lean 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	157644Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Rod Lean 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	157643
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

It's nothing to worry about. It looks like there is some extra weight from the stabilizer causing gravity to pull it down.
It won't hurt a thing.

edit to add:

The tie rod in the Project-JK write-up appears to be the same way.

Last edited by ronjenx; 05-05-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's nothing to worry about. It looks like there is some extra weight from the stabilizer causing gravity to pull it down.
It won't hurt a thing.

edit to add:

The tie rod in the Project-JK write-up appears to be the same way.
Thanks for the reassurance! I was getting worried. I keep hearing a clink in the front driver side area... cant pin point it. Thought maybe the cushion on the tie rod was toast...

Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleTheGrouch
Thanks for the reassurance! I was getting worried. I keep hearing a clink in the front driver side area... cant pin point it. Thought maybe the cushion on the tie rod was toast...

Thanks again!
The noise could be the tie rod bouncing up and down, if it moves easily. Grab it and twist it up and down. You should be able to hear it when it reaches the end of its travel each way. It's not a sign the tie rod is on its way out, as long as the joints have no vertical play in them.

Quick Reply: Tie rod leans forward always